• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Broken Axle (?) Identification

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I don't know why a little 6013 wouldn't work. I've lost count of the starter ring gears I've fixed with oxy/acetylene and a coat hanger
You too???? Thought I was the only one having success with those methods.

I have to admit the "liquid steel" in the green squeeze tube didn't work out so well on the starter drive gear.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
We need to start a "Carnage Picture of the Day" thread . . .

Welder Dave

I have a buzz box, but 6011 is too smoky and spattery, I am going to use 6013 just to get Welder Dave torqued up when he comes by . . . :cool:

Weller truck in Millwaukee has a reman on the shelf, I will be rolling out at 3am Monday, in theory I can be back to my shop by Noon, with a little luck it will run by the end of the day.
Darn it Acoals, you made me bite my tongue. I like the O/A and coat hangers idea better than cough cough 6013!

Old Doug

Not to steal a thread but here's some more rear end carnage
The place i worked loaned out one of there c65 grain trucks and they broke a axle loaded with grain. Then they towed it several thousand miles ?? to a place to unloaded it. It chewed and ground the axle into powder . I had to take the rear end apart and clean it out. If a axle is broken it needs to be replaced on the spot.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Darn it Acoals, you made me bite my tongue. I like the O/A and coat hangers idea better than cough cough 6013!
And just to be first rate in repairs, when I was at the tractor supply store I scored a couple packages of 7018 sticks in open, and damaged containers. No worries as the rusting on the stinger ends was so slight it rubs off with your fingers so these will be an excellent "cap" for the 60XX repairs. Look pretty too.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
And just to be first rate in repairs, when I was at the tractor supply store I scored a couple packages of 7018 sticks in open, and damaged containers. No worries as the rusting on the stinger ends was so slight it rubs off with your fingers so these will be an excellent "cap" for the 60XX repairs. Look pretty too.

You don't need to cap 6013, looks beautiful all by itself!

Welder Dave

They don't put a 13th floor buildings for a reason so what were thinking putting 13 in a welding electrode?

Welder Dave

A friend I had on some forums that was a welder did some break tests on a different forum several years ago. 6013 took only 3 blows with a 4lb hammer to break a 1/4" fillet weld. 7018 with the same size weld took 18 and had to be beat back the other way to break off. That was 7018 left in an open container. 7018 out of a rod oven took 22 blows and also had to be beat back to break the coupons in 2. 7014 took 12 blows if I recall. Surprisingly a hot Mig weld took 26 blows but I believe that was in spray transfer so had a lot more penetration.