• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Butler Brothers logging trucks

gmctavish

Hi guys, I'm new on here, and putting together a write-up on the Butler trucks, for an automotive blog I'm on, as well as other BC-built trucks. Could I use some of the pictures and info that have been posted in this thread?

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Hi guys, I'm new on here, and putting together a write-up on the Butler trucks, for an automotive blog I'm on, as well as other BC-built trucks. Could I use some of the pictures and info that have been posted in this thread?
Your welcome to use anything I've posted on this site .

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
All most nothing left of the Butler truck - sadly it seems to me it is all most not possible to save and restore her

Attachments

• 0BE939BC-EED2-4C5E-933B-BBB0D7653337.jpeg
    0BE939BC-EED2-4C5E-933B-BBB0D7653337.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 185
  • 31787085-E851-45CD-9ED8-2B0629FD226B.jpeg
    31787085-E851-45CD-9ED8-2B0629FD226B.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 178
  • 9CA9F262-DD25-4399-8E4A-E0641587FA1B.jpeg
    9CA9F262-DD25-4399-8E4A-E0641587FA1B.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 172
  • D3523F16-BC5D-4D70-9715-027571946B7C.jpeg
    D3523F16-BC5D-4D70-9715-027571946B7C.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 175

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Wow! How wide of road and what kind of radius on the curves do you need to get that thing down a mountain side? That thing must be over 120' long when loaded.

woofwoof

All most nothing left of the Butler truck - sadly it seems to me it is all most not possible to save and restore her
Where is the butler truck now? I had heard when I volunteered at the Port Alberni Industrial heritage society a few years ago that it had been scrapped.

mountainskidder

Hi Everyone... I have interesting news. I was contacted two days ago on March 22, 2023 by a relative of the Butler Brothers named Mike Radcliff who advised me that the existing Claude Butler and Barney Oldfield truck design archives for the Butler Brothers Mark V will need to find a new home. Mike's mother is the sister to Brian Butler of the Butler Brothers family. Mike told me that the boxes of archives currently reside in an old building out on Keating Crossroads in Saanich which is slated to be demolished. He advised me that all the archives including the bones of #4 and #5 and the cab of #4 on Andy Bryne's property in Powell River are in play. Although there is virtually nothing left of the "skate frames" in Powell River, the original Mark IV cab may be salvageable. I saw a photo of the cab where it sits in a Powell River blackberry patch from 2019 and it looks pretty sad. I also heard that Andy Bryne's property in Powell River is being cleaned up and the reminnents of the skates frames are close to being sent to the scrappy. That said, Mike says Brian Butler is looking for someone or some historical society to preserve the history of what is left of the these amazing and innovative trucks. I understand that the Port Alberni Industrial Heritage Society was formally approached and has said they're not interested in preserving the archive. So I am reaching out on this forum for ideas and suggestions. This is specifically going out to Truckmodeler who started this forum and who I suspect still lives here on the Vancouver Island and may have some insights. Looking for ideas guys and I'll be watching this thread for replies.

Truckmodeler

Hopefully the archive can be preserved. Doug1966 suggested all 3 of the top places. The Forest Museum would be my top pick if any parts of the actual trucks could be retrieved since they have the space. One other consideration for this might be the Saanich Historical Artifacts Society 'Heritage Acres'. Since all the trucks were effectively designed and built in Saanich by a long-time Saanich family the Historical Society might be interested.