• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Buying a old dozer

Marksan

lm looking to buy a older dozer to do some clearing (150 acres), landscaping, road building etc for a small subdivison.

ls there a time when dozers went to computers and switches? For example i have a 1988 Kobelco 200 hoe, no computers and minimum electrics. When did dozers go digital?

lm looking to buy around a D6 C/D size/era maybe a little smaller, dont really care what brand. l guess due to the road building done here for logging there just seem to be alot of machines around that size/era.

Are there any real horror models to avoid from the 70s-90s

lm mechanicaly handy, rebuild most things, when i go looking at a machine what should i pay special attention to. l will go and narrow it down and before i pop on one i will take a mechanic with me.

Cheers

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Parts is a lot of it. Cat gives excellent support of older machines. You can also find lots of parts through machinerytrader.com. Many offerings there of new old stock and after market as well as used at excellent prices. I find lots of "new old stock" there which cost me far less than going direct to Cat for it.

Lets see, as far as what to buy for a dozer? Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, I would either buy a Cat, or a Cat, and if I didn't buy a Cat I would buy a Cat.
The late D6C's are good, no experience on the D6D's.

When looking a machine, look at all of the fluids, if you are interested take some samples for analysis.

UNDERCARRIAGE UNDERCARRIAGE UNDERCARRIAGE. Need I say more?

What kind of shape is it in? Beat up, bent up, looks like it has been through the "Bore War" than it probably has.

JDOFMEMI

Cat dozers of a D-6 size are pretty free of the electronics up until the "R" series. I would look for a good D-6H in good shape, as they are pretty trouble free, and priced reasonable. The "C" and "D" models are good machines as well.

Good luck with your search.

FWD

TD15-C Dresser is a very good older dozer. Parts are for the most part, easily obtained. They will really do some serious pushing with a good operator at the controls.
FWD

oldirt

6C or D are same hp, D has boosted brakes combined on the steering levers, don't know why they didn't put them on the pedals, rest is similar, some parts interchange. Most bang/buck out there today. No electronics to give trouble. Parts are hilariously easy to come by from cat or aftermrkt.

jwar100

Occupation
Dirt contractor
I have been in the dozer business for years and have ran and owned about everything. I would recommend a D6C. These dozers are 140hp and will do about anything but rip limestone. Parts are avaliable anywhere at both dealers and aftermarket houses. Most all filters can be bought at a local napa or car parts house. Wix filters are what we use and have no problems. As far as fuel consumption about 8 gallon per hour when working them hard. Hope this helps, contact me for furthur info about the D6C dozers.

54j

just in the process of doing up an old dozer and I can only repeat what others have said...parts parts parts.....seems cat is the only way to go....komatsu parts here in oz are dam near impossable and the others dont cut it . d6c is a lovely machine

Bigironjim

Occupation
Lard, wishes, manure, nails, bongo's, flyswatters,
If you can find one that wasn't "used too much when it was new" I would go with a D6D. Most any one with mechanical and welding experience can keep them going and they are a productive machine.You will have to have someone to press final sprockets off and on if (when) final drive repairs are needed though.
D5B had a single reduction final drive( less parts to fail) 8" blade, was N/A 3306 (no turbocharger), but used major parts around here are getting scarce. This is another machine relatively easy to work on, troubleshoot, repair.
A D6H can be a little tougher to evaluate used... telescoping roller frames and pivot shaft, make sure they hold oil, equaliser bar pins, all three locations...
Really look the undercarriage over well, as this could be a major investment AFTER you have purchased the machine. Even aftermarket U/Cis very pricy.
Good luck in your search.!