• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

calling out the Deutz vatican

towbar

Occupation
retired
There's an awful lot of talent and experience in these parts so I come for wisdom. The first and only previous Deutz engine I ever built (in 2008) didn't have a hydraulics cooler.

The (yellow) engine oil cooler sits in the air duct and it's exhaust is deflected away from the engine by the deflector, the exhaust of the (white) hydraulics cooler outboard from it is also deflected away from the engine by the bottom flap of the same deflector.

Beyond what could be called serious alignment issues for a factory kit, there seems to be some nonsense in all this. The exhaust of the oil-cooler is actually heating the hood and top of the hydraulic cooler! I have half a mind to redesign it so as to keep the oil-cooler exhaust close by the engine completely separated from the hydraulics cooler by a spaced-isolation baffle allowing the latter to get cooled also.

Unless what the designers had in mind was actually pre-heating the hydraulics in cold weather? I have no idea.

left-on-end-view.png rt-qrtr-view.png left-low-qrtr-view.png parts-manual.png

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I agree, way overthinking it. All of those coolers as well as the piston jugs are getting high volume fan forced cooling air, none of the three are transferring heat between any of those three as long as the shrouds are in place.

towbar

Occupation
retired
You're overthinking it. The flow of air through the coolers is so much more than the air contact from the outside, that the outside air is irrelevant.

Excellent point, I should've been thinking in relative terms but wasn't. It also brings out the importance of the seal between the main air duct and the hydraulic cooler hood. When I stripped the engine there was a 1" gap, I managed to reduce it to about 1/4" as shown in the picture by ovalizing mounting holes and some shims. Will maybe add foam at the junction next. The guy who did that install must have been using a non-spec radiator, I can't see how else such a huge gap could come to exist.

HardRockNM

Occupation
Miner
I run a couple of Deutz 912Ws with large accessory oil coolers for torque converters and hydrostatic systems. All are located downstream of the jug fins and engine oil cooler, and see severe underground production service. As said above, you're overthinking it - the temperature of cooling air in the blower duct, even after passing over the jugs and EO cooler, is well below the hydraulic system temperature and therefore cools the hydraulics perfectly well if things are maintained.

towbar

Occupation
retired
The Air cooled engine only needs around 1/3rd of the air flow of a water cooled engine, it blows the heat gone not like blowing on a radiator, Deutz engines are well sorted and need NO help to refine them.

My initial motivation was an at least theoretically imperfect deflection solution, THAT as it turned out was from a practical perspective negligible and I have already accepted that. In fact that's EXACTLY why I had posted in the first place, to get opinions on a fix.

The mounting kit is another topic, as-it-was the rigging resulted in a 3/4-1" gap (evident during stripping)*, so intervention was very definitely necessary, whose fault this fubar was is of less concern to me. I finally shimmed out the support bottom with nuts under the bolts, countersank the hole for another one and used a countersunk screw, plus used the earlier elongated holes. The result is a 1mm gap which I can live with but which I might still take out after I receive some dense hi-temp foam sheet.

* Possibly related the engine had suffered SEVERE overheating and got warped jugs for it.

But it was good to find out that the deflector plays a lesser role than I had thought, thanks for all the pointers.

eng-rear-oil-filth-1k.jpg countersunk-1k.png

residual-mm-1k.png