• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 480D dies burying goat

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
The 207 tach drive thread is 7/8"-18. A 7/8"-14 nut, screwed on tight with a wrench, will only go on a few threads and will damage the thread a bit, but will serve to pull it out. I use a thread file or a needle file to repair the thread so it will take the tach cable again. Sometimes heat is needed and the last one I had out, I had to heat the boss with an oxy/act torch. A slid hammer is best if you can adapt or make one.

The camshaft will come right out the front, once the tach drive gear is removed. Cam lifters will have to be held up, and, of course, put back in their original locations, on assembly.

Check for block for cracks at the top, between the liners. When cracks get bad they follow down to the sealing area at the bottom of the liner.

Speedi-sleeves are ordered from any bearing supply outlet. I think I left the installation flange on the last one I did, it was out of the way. The rear crankshaft sealing surface is usually okay. Phil:)

turbotech

Searching around I found that a Dana 44 and 60 have 7/8-18 jam nuts on the tie rods. I think I have a 44 in the shed. I am going to look tomorrow. If not I think I will ebay the 7/8-18 nut. I plan on making a press type puller. If it doesn't work out I will go the slide hammer route. Either way I will post a pic once I make it.

turbotech

I got the 7/8-18 nut online and it fit perfect. I welded up a little puller and it worked great. It came out easier than I expected. I will try to get a picture of the tool later and post it. It is made out of the nut, some junk bed-rail stock, and a bolt.
The only thing left is to pull the liners. I need to make another tool for that. A piece of bar stock under the bottom of the liner attached to a threaded rod and a holder at the top should draw them up and out.
The rebuild is going slower than I expected, but it is getting there.

Last edited:

ScottAR

I used a gear puller without the center screw part. I got some
"B7" hard all thread and made a little stand to pull against.
A big truck lug nut and a hard washer is the whole puller.
Worked on my 207 anyway.

turbotech

Nothing fancy. Just a get it done setup here.

Attachments

• DSC05597.jpg
    DSC05597.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 616

dukevader33

Phil you seem like a smart and handy guy. Any experience rebuilding Tramac hammers? I need some advise.