• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580b ck

HTR

The problem I am having is that when I start out in drive everything is fine.
when I have to shift from drive to reverse it will not go back in to drive but reverse works great.Has anyone ever had this problem?

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Do you feel the 3 detents when shifting the shuttle lever through forward/neutral/reverse? Clutch pressure gauge on the dash work? Phil:)

HTR

580b ck

I have no working gauges.Could this be a trash issue? As long as I leave it in drive from the start everything is fine but as soon as I go to nuetral it will not go back into drive. But reverse is great all day long.After it sits overnight
upon startup it will go into drive and be fine until I shift out of drive.

Phil

Occupation
Might be a problem in the clutch pack assembly. A working clutch pressure gauge is a must on a 580B, in my opinion. Take a look at the machine serial # decal on the right side of the steering column. On the far right side of the decal, look for a stamped letter either a 'T' or an 'R'. Twin Disc clutch assembly's have a small dump valve that sometimes sticks, and would cause this problem. Do you have access to a pressure gauge, 0-500psi? Phil:)

HTR

Where would this dump valve be located?
This sounds like it could be it because before I replaced the trans pump everything was working fine.

Phil

Occupation
I was referring to valves in the shuttle assembly housings. Have you replaced the shuttle pump? Phil

HTR

580b ck

yes I replaced the pump.
How many hydro oil fills are on this old machine?
I only see two dipsticks.
But I have 3 drain plugs.

Phil

Occupation
There is only one hydraulic oil fill point and that is on the top of the left loader frame( left reservoir). The 2 dipsticks you refer to are for the shuttle compartment and the trans/diff compartment. Shuttle oil has to designed for use with clutches, although it looks like hydraulic oil. I think the trans/diff spec calls for #90-140 EP , a GL-4 rating, however I use #80-90 EP instead as it gets a bit cool up here.

There are 2 drain plugs for shuttle oil, actually 3, as there is one on the bottom of the shuttle oil filter, located just in front of the radiator. The rear-most plug of the 3 you see underneath, is for the trans/diff compartment.

About 4 gallons for the shuttle, and 5 for the trans/diff.

When replacing the shuttle pump, just what did you have apart? Phil:)

HTR

htr

I removed the shuttle valve assembly and all the plates underneath to get to the pump.
I checked the dump valve and changed all the fluids and the dump valve is at 3.1 in.
still the same problem sometimes she goes sometimes she does not.But even when it does engage f or r still not much power.

Phil

Occupation
Htr,
You've got an interesting problem. I feel you need to do a couple of pressure checks first, with an accurate gauge(s). Do you have a 0-500psi gauge, also a 0-50 or 0-100 psi gauge? A 3' length of 1/4" hydraulic hose is nice to have with a 1/8" NPT end. What is your machine serial #? Phil:)

HTR

htr

PHIL
I do not have any guages.
The serial # plate is missing all that is there is a plate with 580bck.
What about the clutch pressure control spool in between the dump valve and the shuttle spool. This machine sat up for 2 years until I could afford another pump. Could the clutch pressure control be stuck? I see it has a spring inside.
once again this morning with fingers crossed I cranked her up and after a few minutes she eased into forward not strong but rolling.I came to a small hill with no power to climb as I rolled back I slipped it into reverse she engaged.
Seems to have alittle more power in reverse. I rode all around in reverse for awhile Got back to the house and that was all she wrote.
What creates the pressure in the system?
Could I have Gotten A Weak pump?

Last edited:

Phil

Occupation
HTR,
The pressure tests I would like you to do first, will help determine if your pump supply up to the selector spool is okay. It's not conclusive without a flow test.

Some farm supply businesses like TSC even stock hydraulic components now and so gauges are quite inexpensive to buy. I use the liquid filled gauges. Maybe $60 would buy 2 gauges and a 3' line.

The pressure regulator valve does control pressure to the shuttle assembly, and I believe oil flow is through this valve first, then the selector valve. If you remove the valve body containing this valve, keep in mind that the gasket(upper gasket) can be installed backwards, with unknown consequences.

Also depending on machine serial # you may have either a 'converter dump in neutral circuit'(pre # 8314666), or a 'converter charged in neutral circuit'( #8314666 up). This determines the part # of the 2 upper gaskets used. Not sure what impact this has on machine operation if the wrong gaskets are used, but they are very different. Did you replace all control valve gaskets?

Look again, on the small metal decal, on the right side of the big cast iron steering column. I believe there are 2 lines of info with 580 B CK on the top line and the machine serial # on the bottom line. Use some fine steel wool carefully, as these stamped #'s can get painted over. Phil:)

Last edited:

littlehawk

sorry. I am trying to post a new thread in regards to repairing of my 1963 case 530 hoe. It appears I can "reply" but cannot start a new thread. I signed on a week ago, approved my invite through my email yet still cannot start a new thread.

Littlehawk

Phil

Occupation
Welcome to the forum Littlehawk:drinkup. I think you have to reply 5 or 6 times before you can start your own thread, and I assume post a picture too, of your Case 530. I must ask, is it a direct drive? Phil:)