• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580SE seat question.

syndy

Occupation
Retired
My backhoe sits many miles from me so I can't work on it now but my beat up seat is driving me nuts. When I got it last Sept I only used it one time for about a week and had to leave it for the winter. Every time I wanted to use the hoe and swivel the seat, I had to reach way under the seat and find a little lever. I have looked at the parts diagram and at the operating manual but see no convenient lever to swivel the seat.

Now I am starting to think that maybe one of the other levers has a duel purpose and I just didn't find it. Below in the photo is the lever I use. Is it possible I have parts missing?
6783257115_e66b7ec638.jpg

Goose

The correct way to turn the seat is to slide it all the way back. When the seat hit the full back it trips the lever you are moving and allows the seat to rotate. Then when you slide it forward it locks in that direction. The same for turning the seat forward from the backhoe position.

bowen

Occupation
Electrical Panel Builder
The correct way to turn the seat is to slide it all the way back. When the seat hit the full back it trips the lever you are moving and allows the seat to rotate. Then when you slide it forward it locks in that direction. The same for turning the seat forward from the backhoe position.

:falldownlaugh
This is a humorus thread for me. When I 1st started working on mine the seat was rusted up so nothing worked. Before I learned the correct way to spin the seat I tied a wire to a rod and put me a wooden handle on to release the spin mechanism. It's somewhat nice because I can spin the seat in any position, but now I see it was a dumb fix. I just thought something was rusted up or missing.

Seat_Spin_480_11-3-11 006.jpg

My problem now is related to the height. The lever and spring mechanism now looks/works fine but when I raise the seat, it drops back down to a lower ring on the shaft.
It will stay up fine as long as I don't apply my 210 lb rear...:rolleyes:
I am going to take it back apart soon to see if I can determine what is wrong.

Does anyone know what part might need replacing? I got the thing all oiled and greased up: maybe I put too much grease?
I am wondering about the pin that goes across and sits in the groove.

If the groove itself is worn I wonder if I could rotate the base 90 or 180 degrees to another spot?

Last edited:

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
The seat post problem is usually a combination of the height grooves & the end of the lever / locating pin being worn. Usually some weld & careful grinding could repair it.

Goose

Try turning the 2 latches part # N6963 over so you can get a new sharp latch area. That usually will work if they havent been turned already or the groves in the post arent worn to bad.

alrman

Occupation
Try turning the 2 latches part # N6963 over so you can get a new sharp latch area. That usually will work if they havent been turned already or the groves in the post arent worn to bad.

Good sugestion Goose! - all this 580C talk going on getting me confused :dizzy

Attachments

• 580E seat.gif
    580E seat.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,781

bowen

Occupation
Electrical Panel Builder
580SE Seat Latch

Good sugestion Goose! - all this 580C talk going on getting me confused

Mine is the page 608 but I think this part is all the same. One fellow called these things you note as "dogs".
I had all the top apart, cleaning etc. One of the long rods was bent. It slides and turns now like a new one.

It the weather will cooperate this weeken I am going to take the seat back off, diassemble etc because I have to paint all the parts.
I will try flipping the dogs around and see what the grooves look like.
So far I have not totally determined how this spring loaded gizmo works...

Those N6963 latches are like $26 each from Case. :eek:

bowen

Occupation
Electrical Panel Builder
Well I see now what you guys were telling me.
The dogs are fixed on one end and the spring pinches them into the grooves.
The upper tube has grooves cut so that the dogs engage the bottom tube with the worn grooves.
When the seat is down it does not sit in a groove at all, the frame just sits on a pin sticking up on top.
So the grooves are only used to hold the seat up higher.
The close-up here shows how the dogs wear and mine has obviously never been turned over.

Seat_Adjustment_Wear_2-5-2012 004.jpg Seat_Adjustment_480_2-5-2012 003.jpg

After I get it all painted I will turn the dogs over and see how long it lasts.
I suppose to really fix it I would need to replace the base and the 2 dogs/latches.
The grooves appear to be cut strange, and I am not sure how much mine is actually worn.
If that top groove is useable I may not be raising the seat high enough to get in the upper one.

There are 2 special shaped allen screws in the top that have to be removed to take the top off. One of the screws is frozen so bad I never got it off.
This assembly has strange connectors/springs and not easy to get all apart. The spindle was coated with grease & dust making this a nasty job.

I wonder how many operators think it's that important to have the seat raised up high to run the hoe anyway?:)

Goose

Bowen I would say someone got all of the good out of that seatpost. You could try it with the latches flipped but I think the groove are worn to bad to hold even with good latches.

bowen

Occupation
Electrical Panel Builder
Bowen I would say someone got all of the good out of that seatpost. You could try it with the latches flipped but I think the groove are worn to bad to hold even with good latches.

:mad: I was hoping to not hear that...
I got the thing all cleaned up and painted yesterday.
I looked for a price at Coleman and they don't even show a price for this post. I bet it's $200 even if I could buy it.
I welded the worn spots on the latches and ground them back smoothe; they look like new now, so maybe by also flipping them over they will last a while.
If I could get that stuck allen out of the top I would weld some on the post.
The top brace that is welded on is in the way to get straight at that allen. All I can use is the short end of a 3/16" allen wrench. I even heated the screw with a small propane torch, with no luck.That screw must have been bad when they put it in because it's not even totally tight in the hole. It's recessed so I cannot get vice grips or whatever on it. I tried to move it around with a chisel also with no luck.
Even drilling it out would be hard because a drill bit would have to go in at a 20 degree angle..

So I suppose unless someone has any other ideas, I will put it all back on and see how it does. If it will not hold up still I will look for a used post or see the real cost from Case. Maybe I could torch the screw out.
It would be hard to weld the post and grind or file the weld straight with all the top still in the way.
If I could get it apart I would weld it and use a my lathe to reform the groove.

I do have a question. In the picture between the 2nd & 3rd ring you see a gap. That is on both sides where the latch normally sits
Is this all total wear in these spots? I would like to see a picture of the grooves a new post if anyone has this.
I know it hard to make a picture on a seat in use because the grooves will be filled with grease.

All my rings have a taper at the bottom and I assume this was cut straight when new.???

Last edited:

HomeRod

OK,
I have had my 580se since 97, I knew how to rotate the seat but it always been a pain.
I was putting on a new seat and decided there must be something missing.
Since I just read this form / tread I am ready for a modification.
If you could release the rotation lock with out resetting the position you wouldn't have to look like a dog dragging his but every time.

Bowen has a good start.. Less make a MOD

HomeRod (Rod at Home)

alrman

Occupation
Not very easily.
Put your head under the seat & look for the striker mechanism that contacts the release function, when the seat is fully slid rearwards. You may be able to wire it into the unlocked position.
But, having a seat unlocked is not good while trying to operate the loader on eneven ground.

The turn around seat is a vital part of a backhoe & should be fixed properly as soon as you can find the time.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Why won’t your seat swivel.
My height dogs are wasted and instead of screwing with it, I just put a 2” clamp on post to hold it in position.
No spring ride anymore, have to deal with that someday.

bill van vorst

Not very easily.
Put your head under the seat & look for the striker mechanism that contacts the release function, when the seat is fully slid rearwards. You may be able to wire it into the unlocked position.
But, having a seat unlocked is not good while trying to operate the loader on eneven ground.

The turn around seat is a vital part of a backhoe & should be fixed properly as soon as you can find the time.
My seat won't trip whrn you move all the way back