• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case w24b loader

sheepfoot

Does the steering wheel just turn round and round or is it jammed and locked?. The steering pressure is 2500 psi +/- 100 psi if you have a gauge that you can plumb into the test port on the steel hyd tube from the steering pump section. The relief is non adjustable and controls pressure by the small flow control valve, follow the hyd hose after the steel tube from the pump to the frame and you will see a small valve that has three hoses hooked to it. You will also have a hex head screw on the valve, after relieving system pressure if you remove that screw there is a small filter screen that can be removed and cleaned that catches anything that may cause the drilled hole in that spool(in the diverter valve to get plugged) and not build pressure. So first check oil in tank, make sure your air is on to the tank, check pressure on the pump if you can, Engine needs to be running at around 2200 rpm and steering wheel turned all the way rt or lt. I think you may have a bad steering cylinder packing or a loose piston or the piston came off the rod. If you have the caps and plugs you can hook up only one steering cylinder and test and then do the other and test. You can also do one at a time with air pressure after unhooking both lines to a cylinder, apply air to one port and see if oil/air blows out the other side. Caution must be used while working in this area do to the pinch point between the frames. Wheels should be blocked and safety link in place to limit the articulated joint from moving. More if needed

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Has the steering orbital valve been resealed? Like just before this situation started?
They need to be timed correctly or the little pump becomes a little motor........

john hofer

Thanks
Nothing has been changed , this started like, turned left and steering wheel got stock,
I can turn steering wheel when engine is off.

john hofer

Ok, i,am back didn't do a runner on you guys
removed left cylinder, cylinder ok
started engine. Oil coming out left supply hose, steering wheel keeps turning left
no oil coming to right supply hose ,while holding steering wheel or trying to turn left
took of relieve value, screen clean, took out that small piston seems find
it seemed at first when i tried to push it back it was stuck, after a couple of pokes it released
thats is as far as i am. Put everything together and try it.
Didnt do a pressure test . There was lots of oil coming out ot the left supply hose that goes to the cylinder

john hofer

checked both cylinders ,both good, checked pressure, 700lbs,iam assuming oil is bypassing because it has no other place to go, steering wheel locked when is engine running, no oil coming out of right side supply hose to cylinder.
hate to replace steering motor,
help!

sheepfoot

Well if it were me I would slip the steering control valve out and pull it down. Those units run $1000.00 and up from the dealer, may find a whole sale dealer cheaper. The big thing is to clean the area, remove, draw/scribe lines down the unit, disassemble unit keeping you parts in order, you want to check the centering springs and pin, and check ball and seat. The gland in some unless leaking is a pain to remove and seal so most will not remove them. Like alrman said the unit has to be timed with the shaft and rotor. They make a tool to install the centering springs three at a time and it can also be done without it but it is a pain. Can you tell if yours has a canister under the valve, they have several different valves. Your machine only having the 700 psi may be dumping the oil back to tank or steering pump/priority valve issues causing the low pressure also. The thing is when running it turns and locks, centering springs and pin, check valve and ball, a dealer should be able to pull it down/ check/ reseal in a hour if you pull it off. It has to be inspected before parts can be ordered so you know what is needed. I will give it some more thought also.

john hofer

Finely got value out,when to case ,all has been discontinued,tool apart and found a peace broken out of the top off the spool where the ball sits,took it to a fluid power shop ,they cant help me if they weld it,it will worp ,one guy told me to put it together the way it is ,the broken peace is not in the housing ,if that is the case why was the steering locked when engine was running and loose when is was off ? .i would like to try it but i am lost on the timing,they can adapt a different value for $3000 View attachment 136812View attachment 136813View attachment 136814View attachment 136815

john hofer

Has the steering orbital valve been resealed? Like just before this situation started?
They need to be timed correctly or the little pump becomes a little motor........

Alrman,you got any advice on how to time this value,i turned this thing round and round ,cant find no marks,looks to me like put it together ,it don't matter which way.

john hofer

Got trany problems now.
First thing I notice was in 2 gear it was slipping I could hear gear grinding. The in first is was driving very slow and wineing and all of a sudden with a jerk it would drive normal keeps doing this all the time ,any thoughts