• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 2017 259d loses power and is sluggish

Cgray

It's simply one of the diagnostic steps on the way to finding the root cause. I agree that there is a chance it's probably not the issue but unless you have cleaned all the grounds and ticked the box the process can't move one.

I'm trying everything I know here to avoid you having to buy a replacement $2k ECM, but if you want to shell out for one right now knock yourself out, don't let fear stop you..........
Got the ground checking on the schedule for the weekend

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
While you were working on that I was trying to find more info on the Diagnostic Codes that were recorded in the Engine ECM and posted on the previous page. Thanks are due to HEF member @ahart for his suggestions & assistance.

651-3, 652-3, & 653-3 are SAE J1939 Diagnostic Codes as opposed to Cat Datalink (CDL) Diagnostic Codes. I suppose this is what comes of Cat purchasing a proprietary engine from an outside supplier in which the electronic system does not conform to the standard CDL diagnostic protocols we all know & love..........

In short those three Diagnostic Codes are open circuits registered in either the wiring harness or in the solenoid coil of the fuel injectors for cylinders 1, 2, & 3 of the engine. Please see the attached troubleshooting procedure, you will need to work through the Steps in Table 6 on Page 9 for "all other Codes". You will also possibly need to refer to the electrical schematic that I sent to to you a while back and also the the appropriate abridged injector schematic and tables on Pages 6/7.

Attachments

• UENR3423-23 - Injector Solenoid Test.pdf
    720 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Cgray

Mine isn’t having problems starting, when I say it loses power and is sluggish, it loses horsepower. Looked like the last schematic and download was if it wasn’t starting.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Looked like the last schematic and download was if it wasn’t starting.
I didn't see that anywhere, and I just read the document right through again just to make sure....

On Page 1 for all four of the -3 Diagnostic Codes (651 thru 654) it reads:-

Conditions [under which the Codes will occur] - Engine is running. Battery voltage is normal. Occurs during injection. CPU is normal.

Notes [aka sypmtoms] - Open circuit occurs eight times or more. Engine derates. EGR (aftertreatment) stops. Intake throttle is open 100 percent. Warning Level 3. Other injectors continue to operate, which will cause increased vibration.

I think what is happening is that there is a defect in the injector wiring harness that only occurs when the engine is warmed up. This is confirmed by the fact that you can run 20 minutes from cold before the engine derates.
The problem could also be in the solenoid coils of the injectors but it would have to be 3 separate faults, one for each of injectors #1, #2, & #3. This is less likely but still possible.

I would suggest to carry out the troubleshooting procedure when the engine has been warmed up because this is the only time the fault occurs. Refer to my post above re troubleshooting "Table 6".

Be careful of hot engine components and wear gloves.

Cgray

Guess I’m lost, the above schematic is about engaging the starter and engine not starting.

Cgray

I don’t believe I was sent the entire troubleshooting attachment, I only see 3 pages and no Table 6