• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 279D fault codes

excavator

I mentioned the oil in the pressure sensor plug because I was literally out dealing with the same issue/logged events in a later model CTL. It's an easy check to do, this is what I found...
View attachment 273736

Yep that E459-2 is 9 out of 10 times and engine ground or harness ground connection issue, usually in a hard-to-reach spot down the side of the engine.
This machine has a single wire, ring terminal OP sensor. Must be an earlier machine.

excavator

Long past due update, after messing around with it for awhile I got it to start occasionally but very in-consistent. Not having access to ET I finally told them to send it to the dealer. $14,000.00 later it has a new wiring harness, injectors and work done to the DPF ect. Now 35ish hours later it's flashing a code for low voltage at the air flow sensor. A quick check shows no voltage on the sensor power wire. The schematic I have is not the correct serial number prefix, this one is DTGTL03052. Hopefully Nige has one he can send and I can dig into this thing, again. Thanks again.

excavator

Thanks again Nige, it will be a few days before I get back to it. First I have to check out an electrical problem on a Hitachi EX400-3 and a transmission problem on a Kawasaki Z90III, I'm much more familiar with these vintage machines. I'm a little hesitant to work on this one since it's only a few hours since Cat put a new harness in it but the customer was not real happy with them before getting the bill. But they're also good friends so I'll check it out. The information you sent will help out a lot, Thanks again.

excavator

So, another delayed update. I finally had some time to dig into the problem and found a bad mass air flow sensor. $461.00 later the code is gone but they ran it long enough that it requires a forced regen. I found a local mechanic that has ET but he does not have the password. Does anyone have the password? If not, the customer will have to haul it back down to Cat which is 1 1/2 hours away. TIA.

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
What codes are active?

Usually a factory password is required to disable a feature, to enable engine to run with excessive soot loading, long enough to perform a manual regen.

No two factory passwords are the same. They're generated on the spot. Dealer only unfortunately.

excavator

Engine 3701-3 DPF status High- Most severe (3)
Machine E1239-3 DPF #1 conditions not met for active regeneration. Service tool regeneration required

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Service tool regeneration required
In layman’s terms that means a dealer version of ET has to be hooked up to the machine and request a regen. At that point a pop-up window appears asking for passwords. The dealer guy goes online to a Cat website that generates them. They are one-time only passwords. Plug them into the appropriate boxes and Bob’s your father’s brother…..

Tell the customer that next time when they get messages regarding regens required it’s not a good idea to ignore them.

excavator

In layman’s terms that means a dealer version of ET has to be hooked up to the machine and request a regen. At that point a pop-up window appears asking for passwords. The dealer guy goes online to a Cat website that generates them. They are one-time only passwords. Plug them into the appropriate boxes and Bob’s your father’s brother…..

Tell the customer that next time when they get messages regarding regens required it’s not a good idea to ignore them.
They had a mass airflow sensor setting a code. They called the dealer and were told they could finish the job and after getting the sensor replaced the machine would do a regen and they would be set. I guess the dealer didn't figure they would run it as long as they did. I never cared to work on Cat before and even less now. Thank you for your help, hopefully I will be smart enough to say No from now on.

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Engine 3701-3 DPF status High- Most severe (3)
Are you sure it's -3? That's a new one.

-0 usually means DPF out, clean or replace.

-15 or -16 you should still be able to do a parked regen, shouldn't need a factory password for this (not in my experience anyway, could be wrong).

Only thing you can really do with a customer version of ET (before taking it to a dealer) is check all sensor parameters. While cold all temps should display ambient, pressures should be 14-ish psi, etc. And once again go over any earth cables/straps and posts relating to engine and aftertreatment.

Stay tuned, still searching information on this.

excavator

Here's a couple of monitor pics. Looks like I gave the wrong info, pictures don't lie.

Attachments

• 20230608_072141.jpg
    20230608_072141.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20230608_072132.jpg
    20230608_072132.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Not having access to ET I finally told them to send it to the dealer. $14,000.00 later it has a new wiring harness, injectors and work done to the DPF ect.
As Chrisso mentioned 3701-0 means DPF out & cleaned, or replaced. Depends on what facilities the dealer has available.
What exactly did the dealer do to the DPF I wonder.?
This one could potentially be on them, fingers crossed.