• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 299d2 door replacement

ColdBlackWind

Replacing door glass on my machine. Is it better to remove hinges and install safety escape handles than to try and install levers for safety handles with hinges bolted to machine? I tried the latter and don’t have enough hands to hold everything.

ColdBlackWind

I think if I were designing the escape handles I would have them and all the hardware captured so they stayed in place when latches were open. If you were in the field and opened the door using the latches you would lose parts and pieces. Even in the shop it would be nice not to have to hold everything together while trying to muscle the thing in place.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
If you were in the field and opened the door using the latches you would lose parts and pieces.
Ask me how I know that.? I had that exact thing happen on a brand-new SSL, it was probably no more than 2 weeks old.

When they bring you just the handle and ask for it all to be put back together and you reply "OK, so where are all the other bits.?". The next challenge is actually trying to find the Part Numbers in the manual. Been there, done that.

ColdBlackWind

I am by far a Cat mechanic. Just had the machine a couple of months. I do what I have to do or can do when I have a problem. In the short time on this forum I have received invaluable help. Thanks Nige. During replacement of my door I ran across a couple things I thought might help others. I had trouble with the safety latches trying to reassemble. Just couldn’t get one handle to turn 90 degrees to lock. Fought it hard. No bueno. The handle with the issue had the plastic sleeve stuck over the barrel where the ramps are that allow the cross pin to lock up. Finally got that off, which was first clue, and dry fit the handle over the pin and it would not rotate 90 degrees. Scratched my head then realized the barrel had been spread slightly during the process of removing the door. I squeezed it back slightly and voila. Everything was peachy. I don’t have help on a regular basis so I had to install by myself. I put the hinges in the closed position and stuck the door in place and latched the door latch. That held one side. I got a bolt started in top and bottom hinge and tightened up about half way. I opened the door and finished installing bolts and tightening. I hope this might save a member from using curse words strung together like I did.

ColdBlackWind

As I said. Not a Cat tech. My satisfaction with myself was short lived. Got in the machine after replacing the door. Right joystick is dead. I can move the machine but no response on the mast up or down or tilt. Nothing showing on display.

Nige

As I said. Not a Cat tech. My satisfaction with myself was short lived. Got in the machine after replacing the door. Right joystick is dead. I can move the machine but no response on the mast up or down or tilt. Nothing showing on display.
Door switch.?
Go on the floor behind the seat and switch the door/wiper wire harness for the jumper that should be zip-tied to the machine harness at that location. That bypasses the door switch.

ColdBlackWind

Door switch is what I was thinking. How sensitive are they to vertical alignment? I saw the bypass Deutsch plug you recommended in a similar thread. Unfortunately my assortment of AT plugs and receptacles is empty of 6 pin units. These self inflicted wounds are painful.

Nige

Unfortunately my assortment of AT plugs and receptacles is empty of 6 pin units.
You shouldn't need one. You should find the bypass jumper assembly CH-C18 complete with its own 6-pin Deustch connector zip-tied to the machine harness connector at CONN 16 on the floor behind the seat. Simply unplug the door switch/wiper wiring harness A-C3 as shown below from the machine harness connector CH-C10 and plug in the jumper CH-C18.
Use the wire numbers & colours to ensure you are on the correct connector but IIRC there is only one 6-pin connector in that area.

1685741225582.png

1685741272475.png

JASON SIMON

I had similar problems with my door. Stupid design. While trying install a new handle I lost that metal piece that fits through the outside to the handle. Spent an hour or so looking and never found it. $50 for just that. Also the new handle ($70) I got rotated the wrong way so it wouldn't work. I don't think cat parts even had another option.
I had to take apart my old and new handles where a pin is pressed in and swap the claw type part.
Had several other fitment problems that required grinding and major frustration trying to fit everything together by myself.
At one point I was just using a bolt and nut instead of the handle assembly but I'm a relatively new operator only working on my property and that seemed a bit scary to get stuck in the cab with a roll over.

Nige

The old adage of RTFB (read the f'kin book) springs to mind.
First SSL we had with that emergency egress system on the front door . the operator decided to give the RED handles a tweak - "I wonder what this does?" and was amazed when the door fell on the floor.....!!
My response was along the lines of "The Operator Manual is in the pocket behind the seat. Next time why not try reading it. The handles are coloured red for a reason."

Even for a parts expert deciphering the right Part Numbers for those handles & latches is not easy.

Attachments

• Alternate Exit.pdf
    170.1 KB · Views: 3

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
The old adage of RTFB (read the f'kin book) springs to mind.
First SSL we had with that emergency egress system on the front door . the operator decided to give the RED handles a tweak - "I wonder what this does?" and was amazed when the door fell on the floor.....!!
My response was along the lines of "The Operator Manual is in the pocket behind the seat. Next time why not try reading it. The handles are coloured red for a reason."

Even for a parts expert deciphering the right Part Numbers for those handles & latches is not easy.
As a former rental machine mechanic, I seen that far too often.

uglyguy

I would make sure you install the quick release handles back on the door. I've had to remove my door several times in order to get out. It's when I run out of fuel. I trying to finish a job on my property, and always think I can work a few more minutes until I run back to the fuel tank, and then I'll take the machine on a slant and the fuel shifts in the tank and I'm out of gas. I'll have a Root rake on and usually full of stumps or logs and the grapple and arms are stuck in the air. If I did not have the quick release handles on, I would be stuck in cab, I always make sure I collect all my pieces on the ground before I move the machine.