• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 299D2 XHP (2018 build) fault code: 350-3

Joe Zhao

I just got a new delivery of a CAT 299D2 XHP (2018 build) bought from an auction.
I started the machine, and the display showed a yellow warning message "350-3 Machine" - "Lift Linkage Position Sensor Voltage Above Normal."

CAT 299D2 XHP 350-3.jpg

This message is in the "Diagnostic Event."
I checked under "Active Event," and it says "No Active Events".
CAT 299D2 XHP No Active Events.jpg
Machine Serial Number: DX202439
I checked the parts manual, and the CAT part number of this Lift Linkage Position Sensor seems to be: 539-6653
Machine status:
CAT 299D2 XHP Status.jpg

Now, my questions are:

1) How many such "Lift Linkage Position Sensors" are on a D2 machine, one or two?
2) I understand this could be caused by any one of the following
a) a bad position sensor, b) a wiring harness short, c) wring harness open, d) a bad connector, e) other, including bad ECU.
Which is the most likely cause?
3) How difficult and what are the procedures to take off this sensor for testing, assuming there is only one such sensor.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
1) Only one sensor.
2) Possibilities in order - wiring fault, bad sensor, ECM.
3) Carry out the attached procedure. The sensor does not need to be physically removed. (The procedure ought to be in the Troubleshooting section of your service manual.

Attachments

• MID039 CID0350 FMI03.pdf
    223.3 KB · Views: 119

Joe Zhao

I further checked the issue this morning. This is what I found:

1) Only one such Lift Linkage Position Sensor" on the 299D2 XHP. It's located on the mid-rear right-hand side lift arm. Accessible from outside the cab. There is no visible wiring damage.

2) On turning the ignition key and starting the engine, the sequence of the messages shows as follows

a) display shows "CAT" logo
b) display shows "Welcome."
c) display shows "This value could not be adjusted" (without saying what value).
d) display shows "350-3 Machine, Lift Linkage Position Sensor Voltage Above Normal". And this message doesn't automatically go away until the operator press the first right button. Then it shows the normal screen with a yellow <!> LED flashing.

0 - CAT 299D2 XHP Turning on Ignition Key.jpg

1 - CAT 299D2 XHP Welcome.jpg

2 - CAT 299D2 XHP This value could not be adjusted.jpg3 - CAT 299D2 XHP Lift Linkage Position Sensor Voltage Above Normal.jpg

I am looking into this further using multimeter to check voltage and connectivity.