• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 303cr injection issue

Kbob303

Hey guys I have a cat 303cr and it is blowing black smoke whenever I idle it up and use functions. When resting at idle it doesn’t smoke. Looking for input on how to adjust injection pump. Any help is appreciated!!

Tyler d4c

I've battled the same problem with mine I've adjusted the fuel rack limiting screw every witch way to Sunday and it is still smokey. It's a fresh rebuilt engine and about new or rebuilt every thing that involves fuel and air getting in to the engine. So after days of messing with it I started some research and it seems that most all the 303crs do smoke a touch. The pump guy did the injection pump and helped me though the troubles a bit perhaps he will remember some of the details with the pump.

Tyler d4c

There is also the possibility of a hydraulic system that is asking too much of the engine.?
Quite possible mine probably could use a good pressure check and adjust oppointment. I need to get a manual bought

Kbob303

Serial number on machine is xdma01123x. I just changed every possible filter and fluids with all cat products. So air filter is out of question. I just bought machine, it apparently had a rebuilt motor and from my research injection timing gets thrown off when these are rebuilt. My question I guess is how much of a pain in the a** Is it gonna be to time this correctly? New hydraulic pump as well so pressure may need to be set?? Gonna play around with it today and see what I come up with. Thanks for your quick reply’s fellas!

Tyler d4c

They are the style you set timing by the Shims under the pump if they put the same Shims in as they removed it should be ok assuming someone hasn't done something else prior