• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 315CL Engine Won't shut off with key, Replace solenoid, Adjust rod?

D3DaveC

My 2005 315CL engine won't shut off when I turn the key off so I pulled the rod back by hand and the engine shut down. When I shut the key off the engine is still idling, then will speed up, then back to idle. Seems to me the solenoid is trying to pull the rod back to shut the fuel but then fails and releases. I tried to adjust the rod a little(not knowing how much I can do this) but it's still the same. Should I keep adjusting the rod to shorten it or do I have to replace the solenoid, part# 227-1046, ref# 18 on page 71 of parts book. Maybe while engine is running if that solenoid is actually working and trying to pull the rod back I can keep adjusting the rod until it does shut the engine off? Will anything be damaged if key is off and engine is running(with all this computer stuff)? Thanks

Delmer

I'm no expert, but the rod probably didn't wear out or change adjustment. I'd get out the electric meter and start checking around. "usually" a solenoid turns on the fuel, and when it shuts off a spring shuts the fuel off. On second thought, first figure out how it's supposed to work and see if the spring tension is correct, or if something is rubbing somewhere.

D3DaveC

I peeled back the rubber boot or cover and nothing to see there but it does feel like a spring is sometimes binding with some thing.

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
Try it in a few different positions. All I have ever had to do was adjust them. If you have alredy replaced the solenoid you should be good.

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
Sorry, I though you had replaced it. Sometimes they get weak and won't have the pull they need. Try the adjustment first and make sure it isgetting the full 24 volts.

D&GExcavating

You'll probably have to replace the solenoid. We have a 315C, and two 320Cs and I think we've replaced one on each machine

JPCat

Hello everyone here it is 2023 and this forum sure took a big part in helping me out with my cat315c l. Just wanted to thank you all.

Kind regards,
Jose

Occupation
Welder , mechanic
@D3DaveC Interesting thread as I have a 315c also. FYI- the fuel solenoid is activated by a timer. It is deactivated when engine is running but when you **** the key off a timer activates the solenoid for 15 seconds and shuts the engine off. Then the spring returns the linkage to the run position. Thanks for sharing info !!

Edward D. Dixon

I have the exact same problem on a mitsubishi 4D32 in a Cat E60B. I've replaced the solenoid (no help), I replaced the relay (not sure if it's the right one but it looked like it is) no help. Right now I have a string tied to the linkage that works perfectly but it's annoyingly not right.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I have the exact same problem on a mitsubishi 4D32 in a Cat E60B. I've replaced the solenoid (no help), I replaced the relay (not sure if it's the right one but it looked like it is) no help. Right now I have a string tied to the linkage that works perfectly but it's annoyingly not right.
Are you sure it's not an E70B.? Never heard of an E60B. Does the machine Serial Number start with 7YFxxxx.?

On the E70B the power circuit to the stop solenoid goes through a timer and 2 relays before reaching the solenoid itself. Post a Serial Number and I'll see what I can come up with in the way of an electrical schematic which (hopefully) should have Part numbers on it.