• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 325 on a landall?

fastline

Dealing with an non-running excavator in another thread. One guy was recommending to use a landall so it could be drug up on the trailer easier. I agree with all that but concerned about the higher center of mass, taller trailer, etc? Are we cool with that option? I am usually pretty strict that at 25T+, I want an RGN, end of story, but due to the situation, the landall certainly does present an advantage. I believe it has a 25T winch, so I can get 50T with a snatch block if needed, which should easily get the machine on. Hell, I might even forgo pulling the finals apart and just drag it. That might be wishing....lol

heymccall

My two axle Landoll is too tall the get under the 13'6" height clearance for traversing the highway with a 325 on board.
And, weight over distance of a 325 would, almost certainly bow or break my 35ton trailer.
Find the capacity chart for the Landoll you were gonna use and see what the weight over span distance rating is.
They do manufacture 3 axle Landolls, though.

fastline

A 3 axle is what is being proposed. I know the load would be oversize (over width) anyway and was thinking you get to buy some credit on height as well before you get to a super load?

AzIron

I have hauled 320 size machines on dove tails and it's a somewhat regular sight around here. A triple axel should do just fine. As far as higher center of gravity it takes a minute to get used to you just have to slow down on corners

JPV

Your oversize/overweight permit should tell you what you need to do if you are overheight. Around here if you are over 14'6" you need a pilot car with a pole. For the most part 15 foot is pretty easy to get around.

Mother Deuce

I have hauled many 44,000 pound excavators on Trailking 35 ton sliding axle trailers. The track chains are still bearing the weight on the outside of the trailer frame.
A 325 is typically wider than a 200. If memory hasn't completely failed me a 325 is usually about 11'2 versus a 200/320 at 10'6". The inside of the chain may still catch
the trailer frame. Your dealing with a dead horse... your winch needs to be able to move the weight of the machine plus overcome the friction of the machine sliding over the ground.
No winch I have ever seen in any Landoll type arrangement has that much hair. Oil field rigging trucks and Lowboy iron with onboard tractor winch (like a HETT has) will do it. If your 50 ton Landoll has outriggers that would give you a little bit play regarding being perfectly square on the trailer if indeed it is 11'2 wide it would be a huge plus. I am not sure, I would even try this on a 8'6" step deck. Tape the track chain center to center. That will tell the story quick. Over height will be whatever you guy's are able to get the boom down to. Most states don't get real picky till you get over 16' about issuing a permit. Everyone it seems has a different pole car requirement. The onus of liability is on you though even if the state issues a permit that includes low clearances. I would rather 20' feet wide than one inch over height.
This move because of the machine being dead has moved from the mundane, to interesting. Good Luck with it.

crane operator

I wouldn't want to try to keep it straight dragging it onto a landoll dead, it will be difficult if it gets crooked, and like mother deuce pointed out, you aren't going to have much extra trailer to work with. I'd feel a lot more comfortable pulling it onto a RGN with outriggers out being 1' off the ground, as 4' off the ground trying to pull it up onto a landoll. If it starts to slide crooked, its going to get ugly in a hurry.

The angle to winch up onto a landoll will be much higher than onto a RGN, and Mother Deuce is totally correct on the winch situation, my trail eze (like a landoll) wouldn't want a excavator of that size, even with a snatch block. That landoll might have a 25,000lb winch, I don't think there is any way it is a 25 ton winch.

I think your first gut instinct of a RGN, is the right way to go, keep it all nice and low to the ground, and get a heavy wrecker if you have to to winch it on. They can hook up with two lines and keep it going straight onto the trailer. If there isn't anything else on site to push or pull with.

suladas

Depends on width of trailer, I know i've seen them at least 9' wide. Why not unbolt sprockets so track can spin free making it very easy to winch on? As long as the trailer won't break and track chain is comfortably on the trailer I wouldn't worry about it. You're only moving it once, you can make sure it's perfect and tie it down extremely overkill so it's not moving. Again with the height could easily just drive your path ahead of time to get out any potential height issues.

When I was younger and not as bright I was hauling a Deere 225 on a 8'6" step deck and had no issues breaking the trailer, and with thumb etc it weighed 25 tons. And it stayed shiny side up except for one very close call :eek: