• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 611

Neil D

Occupation
contractor
Anybody worked with these or know anything about them?
The 611 seems to be a tidy little scraper but does not seem to have been too popular.

Neil

Dug Overburden

Occupation
trucker
611 scraper

They were not a popular machine, discontinued after only a few years. A rental company tried them here in So-Cal, but this is the not the right aplication for them. It is a 615C tractor with an open bowl. All lot have been convereted to water wagons.

I would like to run one,you probably do not need anything bigger than a D6R to push with. How about a cushion dozer on on D6R?

Dug

Attachments

• 79093344[3].jpg
    79093344[3].jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,500
  • 79093346[2].jpg
    79093346[2].jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 2,077

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
I remember when the 611 came out. The Westener paper that Western States Cat puts out had a articile about them. Cat was pushing them towards contractors with less than 300,000 yards of dirt to move. They showed them being pushed with a D6R. Didnt have a push-cushion though!
I got a big laugh thinking that if you had less than a 300,000 yards to move, a half dozen 631's would be 'small' enough for me!
Jason

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
seems like a 611 would be good for drive ways maybe shave some humps off your backyard.

JDOFMEMI

300,000 yards with some 611's??????
I guess, if you want to make a career out of one job. Thats about 3 weeks work on a good spread for us.
Just wish I could find 300,000 to move

Dug Overburden

Occupation
trucker
611's

Jerry,

I remember reading the same thing about the "300,000 yards. In California contractors bring in 657's for any job they can get. They would do 5,000 yards with them if the machines will fit.

300,000 yards with some 611's??????
I guess, if you want to make a career out of one job. Thats about 3 weeks work on a good spread for us.
Just wish I could find 300,000 to move

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I'm guessing Cat thought there might be a market for smaller contractors who like the small scrapers but don't like the complexity and expense of paddlewheel scrapers. I have seen some JD 762B's converted with Kress AWD hydrostatic drive open bowls, that worked ok, and there are cat 613's and IH 412's with Rome open bowl conversions out there. Probably good for a soil conservation contractor who doesn't want wheel tractors with pull pans.
alan627b

Neil D

Occupation
contractor
Thanks guys
I kinda thought myself that Cat had introduced them for the smaller contractor to give him an alternative to ADT's. I reckon a couple of them on some of the housing projects we had (before the a-- fell out of the market) would have been a nice earner!!! Watched a builder four years ago take six months to shift twent thousand cube metres with a zaxix130 loading two 6 ton site dumpers then had a zaxis 210 level out the dumped material. Talk about a career job? the firm eventually went bankrupt!

I notice here the emphasis on big machines and if I had 657's yes I would be trying to do every job with them but sometimes it dont work like that!!
I always remember the old saying, a big fire will burn you whereas a small one will keep you warm!!

cheers
Neil

Turbo21835

I see these machines as being aimed towards dirt spreads of the midwest. They are almost the Same size as a Terex TS14. We moved plenty of dirt with them old 14s. Made a good penny doing it too. Just wish they would have followed suit with the rest of the line up. Keeping the 11 as a single engine and making a 617 that would be a direct competitor to the small twin market.

DPete

It's a nice looking rig but not cost effective in my opinion. I guess Cat was tring to revert back to the DW 10 /15 days