• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 924 G transmission problems

GerryBR

Hello,

yesterday I got some work to do with my cat 924G and I noticed that a new problem is arriving. 3 or 4 times the transmission did nothing, when the gear was engaged. After trying many times forward & reverse it returned to normal life again. Does anyone knows, which steps should I take? In my oppinion it looks like to be an electrical contact problem.

Thanks for helping advice
Gerry

Bob/Ont

I would check the neutralizer switch, maybe get it acting up then switch it off. Those switches in the pedal break up.
Later Bob
By the symptoms it's likely to be electrical. Do you have an electrical schematic..?

cdm123

I have had mine for over a year now but old habits are hard to break and I some times slap the forward revers shifter when I am using the one on the joystick, it can only be one or the other, not both. A quick WTF and it's usually back to work after centering both and picking one.

DB2

I have had mine for over a year now but old habits are hard to break and I some times slap the forward revers shifter when I am using the one on the joystick, it can only be one or the other, not both. A quick WTF and it's usually back to work after centering both and picking one.

This and the parking brake
Seems it will even sound the alarm when reverse is selected

Hardscapes

I know this post was years ago but i have a 924g having same issue, i changed the neutralizer switch, e brake switch. I have to shut off machine wait 15 min or so and it will move again. Local dealer has not been helpful
Thanks
Rob

Hardscapes

Update, it was trailer to a local guy who thought he could fix it but just recently got hurt and cant. I just found out as im making arrangements to have it trailered back to my shop that it now only have 3rd gear forward . I guess this happened as he was moving dirt trying to make happen whats in my video

I should have it back this week. Hoping not a bigger issue
Thanks

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Hopefully you can see it ok
Looks like 9SW017xx. Last 2 digits on the end of the S/N are not visible in the photo and ideally would be a good idea to provide them just to identify what type of transmission (Std or Low Speed) it has installed.

When you get it back the first thing I would suggest to check is the transmission oil level, colour, & smell. Is the oil dark & cloudy or clear & bright.? Does it smell burned.?

Hardscapes

It was recently tested at dealer and was told its good. But will check again soon as i get it back

Hardscapes

Agreed. I have the full serial number in my office so ill get that to you tomorrow and let you know why the machine is back at the shop
Thanks
Rob

Hardscapes

Was that before or after it was reduced to only 3rd speed forward.?
If it was before then I would suggest you are in "assume nothing" situation.
Machine is back, i posted the full serial number. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
So based on the Serial Number it has a standard transmission. That may or may not be relevant at some point.

Can you check the basics please.
What type & grade of oil do you use.?
Oil level, colour (clear & bright vs dark & cloudy), does the oil smell burned., etc, etc.?
Remove & inspect the magnetic screen. You will need to drain some of the transmission oil to do this.

Also need to look at the power train electronic control system for Diagnostic Codes. You can do this first if you want. See the attached procedure. You will need to locate the Harness Code Plug which is CONN 14, machine location 53 on the schematic that I will send you.

Attachments

• Mag Screen.pdf
    136.8 KB · Views: 3
  • SENR1218 - Diagnostic Codes.pdf
    110.6 KB · Views: 3