• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cat 953c

jcrane

Charter Member
anyone out there operate a 953? I am thinking of buying one from a friend and taking over his business

donlang

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner- full service excavating firm
In my opinion, the 953 is probably the best track loader in the industry.............if you are into track loaders. The industry has eliminated a lot of track loader lines in recent years, although Cat has continued in a big way. Case quit, John Deere makes a few, and teamed up with Libherr (sp?) to produce a rear engine hilift, Fiat gave it up, Komatsu gave it up, and I think that Dresser still makes one or two although you'd be hard pressed to find em.

If you work in the housing industry, the 953 is either perfect size, or just a little on the too large size. To haul them, you need a sizable truck and trailer...........it is a heavy machine. Visability is good, operator comfort is pretty good, and servicability is good. If you like track loaders, this one is tops in my book. I have used them for many years, working for companies that have owned them. I have bought a few of them for people that I have worked for. In the commercial industry, they might be considered too small........

Buy it with a cab and air conditioning, then put a stereo in it. You'll want to stay in it all day.

Good choice! I like em!!!:cool:

jcrane

Charter Member
What kind of hourly rates can you get with one of these machines? Or do you charge by the job? I would be doing lot/land clearing and site prep for builders mostly. I am in the Atlanta area...

donlang

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner- full service excavating firm
It has been a while since I have done residential work in an hourly market. If I remember correctly, $75.00 per hour was the rate that I used about 6 years ago, here in Pittsburgh, Pa. THat rate included the operator, fuel and oil, and overhead and profit. It did not include mobilization. I'm not sure that the rate would be a lot different now, although things do change...........I have been left behind by the industry :(

Most of the work that I am involved in now is commercial contract work, and work that is extra to the contract is done hourly. THe rates however, differ significantly. The company that I work for is signatory to the local trade unions, hence higher operator rates. Not only that, but we don't have a 953..........

Sorry for being somewhat vague, but I hope this helps you some.

Don

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Any equipment here from an 18,000 excavator to you name it up to a $250,000 machine braings between $125 and $200 an hour. plus move in. ($150 -$200)

ship 660

Kansas City it will be 90.00-100.00 The 953 is perfect for basements not too heavy like the 963 and easier to turn with out tearing up the finish grade.

Woodstock

Down here in Texas we have a 963B and we charge 140 an hour for it. No body complains it is to much. They are great machines. We used to have a 943 and got 90 an hour for it. I would say for a 953 100 to 120 per hr.

whithunter

I also have a 953c and am curious as to what every one is getting and hour for the machine? I am in the Atlanta area.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I also have a 953c and am curious as to what every one is getting and hour for the machine? I am in the Atlanta area.

Just a little farther west in B'ham we get $90-$100 per hour, although it is hard to make money at that rate. Mobilization is extra. Whithunter how is the market for dirt work over in ATL?

Ross

Well ide avoid the 953 and buy a 953C.

953 came with a underpowered Nipon engine 3204T.

953C's came with a 3116. 6 cylinder unit.

Ross

lgammon

we have a 953b we love it, air and radio makes for short days, or at least it seems that way

we are in north east tenn and we get 100 an hour i have heard some get 120