• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 955k Engine Issues

Lukejeffers

Hello,
I have a 955k serial number 71j2749. I have been told it’s a grey market machine and I believe it has the d330 engine. If I would have done my research before purchasing this machine I would have found a 85j, but this is what I ended up with and it’s a great machine aside from the engine issues I’m having. Recently replaced the turbo, injector nozzles, and pre combustion chamber o rings. Running Rotella 15w40 engine oil. The machine starts and runs strong but is consuming lots of oil (gallon in 10 hours of heavy load). My dad has a 85j 955l with no issues and I can not notice a power or performance difference between the two. It is smoking a lot especially at idle. It is not loosing coolant or mixing any fluids. The coolant temp will creep up to 220+ and cool back to 160 quickly after idled down. I’d say it takes about a hour of hard run time to get to 220. Does anyone have any recommendations on what my issue/issues may be?

Attachments

• A8C3B4E1-432B-4830-863A-4D34D57DBF3D.jpeg
    A8C3B4E1-432B-4830-863A-4D34D57DBF3D.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 11

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I have a 955k serial number 71j2749. I have been told it’s a grey market machine and I believe it has the d330 engine.
71J machine is not grey market. It was simply built outside the US, in Japan in this case. 955K models is UMX00085were built in US, France, the UK, Australia, & Japan.

The engine might be a 3304. See if you can find a S/N plate on the engine. It should start with 48V if it is a 3304 or be the same as the machine S/N if it is a D330.

The one thing you will really need a a Parts Manual specific to the 71J machine, and it's different to the one for the 85J. The Publication Reference is UMX00085. Try looking in the usual internet marketplaces bu tif that fails you can get one from here for just over $100 - https://www.servicemanualpro.com/?page=Products&searchbox=71J02749

1684684958475.png

Nige

Thanks for the response and info. The serial number matches the machine. So looks like I do have a d330 engine.
In that case you do have a D330. I was looking into it a bit more and it seems as though the 71J machine changed to a 3304 engine from S/N 71J4558 onwards.

Effectively what you have is the Japanese-built equivalent to an early 85J serial number machine.

361brock

Occupation
retired
When the machine makes the smoke you talked about, is it coming from exhaust or breather pipe?

Nick

361brock

Occupation
retired
When any of my machines used a gallon a day and the hrs. put on since last rebuild exceeded 6,000, I scheduled a rebuild. Not that 6,000 is the magic number, but the gallon a day would dictate my next move provided no external leaks. Another indicator, when the motor gets tired you will always need the glow plugs to get her going especially on cool mornings.

Nick

Lukejeffers

In that case you do have a D330. I was looking into it a bit more and it seems as though the 71J machine changed to a 3304 engine from S/N 71J4558 onwards.

Effectively what you have is the Japanese-built equivalent to an early 85J serial number machine.
Nige,
Looks like there were a few different d330 engines. Can you tell me which one I have based on s/n? Also, where to find parts for this engine?

361brock

Occupation
retired
Make sure the turbo isn't the source of oil usage. Is the turbo oil soaked around housing or coupling? That oil feed & return line that goes to turbo has lots of pressure, If it were to spring a leak it would empty your crank case in shot order not to mention the mess. The early D330 was much different than the D330C. I always bought from Cat dealer when rebuild. Pay close attention to liner projection which ever motor you have. You gonna love re-installing the counter balance shafts. You can do the rebuild with engine left in machine if your not able to remove. I removed mine.

Nick

361brock

Occupation
retired
First thing I would do is pull head, bad valve guides could be one source of oil use. You will be able to check liner for wear and scoring . Send the head out for new guides, valve seats, springs, reseal precups, new injector tips & check & replace valves if needed. And while your at it have the shop replace the exhaust manifold bolts and the manifold if it's shot.

Nick

Nige

First thing I would suggest was back in Post #2, get yourself a Parts Manual.

The fact that the 71J machine has a different Parts Manual to the 85J indicates that there are differences between the two models. What those difference are I have no idea but unless you're working with a PM that corrresponds to your machine you're flogging a dead horse IMO.

I would also suggest that if you are going to be wrenching on this machine yourself you also need a Service Manual. The Publication Reference for a 71J is REG00634. Interestingly it covers 4 models, 57J (Aus), 64J (Fra), 71J (Jap), and 85J (US) so although there may be minor differences in some parts the repair of the machine is the same.
Here's one - https://www.ebay.com/itm/325565373240

Nige

How do I determine if I have a d330 or a d330c. I’m having a hard time finding info on this.
As your machine is the 955K model where the engine model changed from a D330 to a 3304 from Serial Number 71J4558-onwards the engine you have will be a D330C.

The much older D330 engine model is 4.5" bore x 5.5" stroke.
The D330C shares the same bore & stroke with the 3304 at 4.75" x 6".

Lukejeffers

Ok. So what is the differences between a d330c and a 3304? I know the bolt ons are different but what about short block? Does a 3304 in frame kit work on a d330c?

Nige

4? I know the bolt ons are different but what about short block? Does a 3304 in frame kit work on a d330c?
I would say not. The best thing that I can suggest is to go back to the information in Post #2 and get yourself a copy of the parts Manual I linked in that post. Order (OEM or aftermarket) the parts from that manual based on your engine Serial Number and you ought to get the correct parts for your particular engine.