• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 988A Information

Panagiotis91

Hello everyone ,

Recently i bought a used caterpillar 988A 1974 years model and since i am new to this type of machine i would to know if this model has a handbrake - parking brake since it doesn't seems that have a lever or something . Also i would to know how the brake the system works with air or oil because it doesn't have a compressor to fill air when it stats . I can't find such information on the internet or any workshop manuals so any information would be appreciated .

Thanks in advance.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Hello everyone ,

Recently i bought a used caterpillar 988A 1974 years model and since i am new to this type of machine i would to know if this model has a handbrake - parking brake since it doesn't seems that have a lever or something . Also i would to know how the brake the system works with air or oil because it doesn't have a compressor to fill air when it stats . I can't find such information on the internet or any workshop manuals so any information would be appreciated .

Thanks in advance.
The Cat guys will want a serial number in order to give you the information you want

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Well for starters as cuttin edge says a S/N would help but if it is a 1974 it would have a parking brake on the transfer case that is spring applied and hydraulically released. So not exactly a hand brake but is manually controlled by large red knob that would be to left of seat, pull up to apply and push down to release as I recall.

I have service manual and lube manual, NOT FOR SALE, but not an operators manual. Spent many years working on them but not touched one in about 15 years!

S/N is important as there were many changes over the years they built them.

As to service brakes. They are worked by hydraulic pressure inside bladders in each wheel and use an accumulator to store the brake pressure in case the engine was to stop while moving.

Depending on the S/N range pumps can be vane pumps, gear pumps or even axial piston pumps or some combination of the above!

Attached are a couple pages on brake system:988A Brakes004.jpg 988A Brakes005.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
One point I might add to my post above on a 988A Cat. In a way I did enjoy working on them but one has to take in to consideration I was paid by the hours and did not have to be concerned with the cost of parts.

Not sure I would recommend one to someone on a tight budget or with limited experience on working on them. If you could get by with a slightly smaller machine but wanted to keep with the Cat family I would lean towards a 980B or even a 966C. Both still need some skills to keep working but at least the braking systems are a bit easier and cheaper to keep working, in my opinion.

kshansen

Occupation
Thank you very much eveyone for your replies . My S/N is A87A3725 . Thanks
That sounds good, Vickers pumps for hydraulics and brakes. And spacer plate engine.

Not sure if this will work but Cat does still offer at least some manuals for the 87A machines online. I would suggest at the least having an Operators/Maintenance manual which can be downloaded for $27.00

https://catpublications.com/Search/recall?savedSearchId=fc510e04-fe35-ea11-911d-005056a270f1

Just be sure if you want to order any manuals to check the serial number ranges are right for your machine!

And if you need a page or two out of service manual I could scan and send those.

Actually a Service manual looks like it is available on CD for $290.00 so that would not be a bad deal:
https://www.servicemanualpro.com/?page=Products&searchbox=87A3725

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Does anyone know the fuel consumption per hour?
The answer to that would be "It Depends" - on what type of work the machine is doing and how hard it is working. Consumption could be anywhere between 25 and 45 litres per hour. Also a lot will depend on the condition of the machine when considering how much fuel it might burn.

Arnauld K

That sounds good, Vickers pumps for hydraulics and brakes. And spacer plate engine.

Not sure if this will work but Cat does still offer at least some manuals for the 87A machines online. I would suggest at the least having an Operators/Maintenance manual which can be downloaded for $27.00

https://catpublications.com/Search/recall?savedSearchId=fc510e04-fe35-ea11-911d-005056a270f1

Just be sure if you want to order any manuals to check the serial number ranges are right for your machine!

And if you need a page or two out of service manual I could scan and send those.

Actually a Service manual looks like it is available on CD for $290.00 so that would not be a bad deal:
https://www.servicemanualpro.com/?page=Products&searchbox=87A3725

Hi, I'm tryind to buy the parts manual on the catpublication website but they require a registration from me, and there is no way to register, do you know how to register? by the way I just bought a cat 988, S/N is 87A4944 and we are trying to rebuild the engine.

Nige

Hi, I'm tryind to buy the parts manual on the catpublication website but they require a registration from me, and there is no way to register, do you know how to register? by the way I just bought a cat 988, S/N is 87A4944 and we are trying to rebuild the engine.
You don't need to register if you do it this way: -
Go to - https://catpublications.com/
As soon as you start to type in the Search box a popup (below) will appear. Click on "Continue as Guest".

upload_2022-9-3_21-48-27.png

Type UEG0028S in the box and click Search. The illustration below should appear. You can add your choice of manual (download, CD, or paper) to the shopping cart and proceed to checkout. At the checkout you will only be asked to supply information regarding a shipping address & country, and enter details of how you will pay for the order.

upload_2022-9-3_21-55-10.png

Arnauld K

Th
You don't need to register if you do it this way: -
Go to - https://catpublications.com/
As soon as you start to type in the Search box a popup (below) will appear. Click on "Continue as Guest".

View attachment 267416

Type UEG0028S in the box and click Search. The illustration below should appear. You can add your choice of manual (download, CD, or paper) to the shopping cart and proceed to checkout. At the checkout you will only be asked to supply information regarding a shipping address & country, and enter details of how you will pay for the order.

View attachment 267421
Thank you very much. And also, I would like to know please , as the engine operating in the cat988 87a series is a d343, and that ,as some electric generators are operating with d343 engine , do you think a d343 engine operating in a generator can be used for a cat988A and will operate properly with all its efficiency ?

Nige

I would like to know please , as the engine operating in the cat988 87a series is a d343, and that ,as some electric generators are operating with d343 engine , do you think a d343 engine operating in a generator can be used for a cat988A and will operate properly with all its efficiency ?
It would all depend on how the generator engine is set up and what power it produces. I would guess that the generator engine will certainly not drop straight into the 988A without modifications/changes being made to it.
Also remember that generator set engines are designed to operate at a constant speed, the 988 engine is not.
If you have a specific engine in mind please post the Serial Number and Arrangement Numbers of BOTH engines (the 988A 87A engine and the generator set engine) so that they can be compared and any differences identified.

Arnauld K

It would all depend on how the generator engine is set up and what power it produces. I would guess that the generator engine will certainly not drop straight into the 988A without modifications/changes being made to it.
Also remember that generator set engines are designed to operate at a constant speed, the 988 engine is not.
If you have a specific engine in mind please post the Serial Number and Arrangement Numbers of BOTH engines (the 988A 87A engine and the generator set engine) so that they can be compared and any differences identified.
The generator engine S/N is :62b11760 and the 988A 87A engine S/N is: 2s16228

Nige

The generator engine S/N is :62b11760 and the 988A 87A engine S/N is: 2s16228
Please see if you can find the Arrangement Numbers for both engines. They should be right there on the Serial Number plate. They are the numbers that will drive the comparison between the two engines.
This model of engine is now so old that no information is available in the online system (I checked both Serial Numbers) to use to compare the two engines. That's why I need the Arrangement Numbers.

Arnauld K

Please see if you can find the Arrangement Numbers for both engines. They should be right there on the Serial Number plate. They are the numbers that will drive the comparison between the two engines.
This model of engine is now so old that no information is available in the online system (I checked both Serial Numbers) to use to compare the two engines. That's why I need the Arrangement Numbers.
Ook, I will look for It, and let you know . Thanks

Arnauld K

If it is an original 988A engine the S/N should start with 52K.
Sorry but I have been trying hard to find the arrangement number but it’s so difficult . The engine is so old. Please I would like to know what gasket kit I would need for the complete rebuild of the engine . I found out that the the reference of the complete overhaul gasket kit for the engine we would like to rebuild is 5P6926; can you please help me know if that kit contains main bearings, rod bearings and piston rings? because I’m about to order also the cylinder head gasket kit and all the bearings , and I’m afraid to find out later after I have spend the money that the overhaul kit had all the bearings and rings I needed .

Nige

Sorry but I have been trying hard to find the arrangement number but it’s so difficult
I understand that but there is not so much information online about the generator set engine, hence looking for the Arrgt Number. There are 8 different possibilities of Arrangement for a 62B-prefix engine.

5P6926 does not contain any crankshaft bearings or piston rings. It would be highly unusual for any gasket kit to have them.
5P6926 appears to be a complete engine gasket kit and DOES contain a cylinder head gasket, so I do not think you need a separate cylinder head gasket kit. I have attached the breakdown of 5P6926 - 151 line items.

Attachments

• 5P6926.pdf
    199.4 KB · Views: 5

Arnauld K

I understand that but there is not so much information online about the generator set engine, hence looking for the Arrgt Number. There are 8 different possibilities of Arrangement for a 62B-prefix engine.

5P6926 does not contain any crankshaft bearings or piston rings. It would be highly unusual for any gasket kit to have them.
5P6926 appears to be a complete engine gasket kit and DOES contain a cylinder head gasket, so I do not think you need a separate cylinder head gasket kit. I have attached the breakdown of 5P6926 - 151 line items.
thank you very much sir, I found a number on the 62b11670 block; the number is 7S3600, here is the picture attached .from the file you sent, i can see there is no water pump gasket in the list so i will need to buy one. thank you very much for your help.

Attachments

• arr number.jpg
    arr number.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 14