• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 988A Information

Arnauld K

Fantastic! I'm sure here in the USA there are many of those engines just sitting in scrap yards but probably not many in Cameroon. Now that I think of it I know where I have seen a 769 Cat truck parked for years that I believe has that same basic engine. Once you get the "new" pump I'd hide it good so you don't have this problem again! And if you can post a short video of this machine running.
Thank you sir, the water pump is so old. I don’t think it’s still functional . But thank God we had bought the inner part of the pump from CGR. We are just going to use all the elbows and the housing of the complete pump we’ve bought.
For sure I will post a short video of the machine running .

Arnauld K

Please, can someone tell me what is this big part in circle ? What is its use ? Is it compulsory so mount it or we can make the machine run without it ? We have it and my mechanics seems not to know what it is...

Attachments

• B5578ACE-BE3F-43BB-8255-903A71CFBAFA.jpeg
    B5578ACE-BE3F-43BB-8255-903A71CFBAFA.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 10

Arnauld K

Hello, since about 3 weeks we have successfully started the engine on the wheel loader. But we are facing a new problem : the bucket isn’t lifting. My mechanic has checked the hydraulic pump and told me everything seems to be good inside especially the cartridges. The steering works very well. so, we are wondering what could be the cause of that problem .
Ps: I was unable to post a small video of the wheel loader running .

oarwhat

Could be air bound. We drained the hydraulic oil on a 980B . Hydraulics wouldn't work. There was a bleed screw on the filter. Cracked that open and it primed. Might have to crack a hose off the pump if no bleed spot. Let us know if that works.

Welder Dave

Don't know if it's similar but when I had the articulation valve off of the grader it lost a lot of oil. I put everything back together and added 2 pails of oil to bring it to the full level. I started it and everything worked except the blade lift. I looked everything over and couldn't see any issues. I got back in the cab and raised the throttle to about 1/4 and then the blade lifted. Never had anymore issues and the blade lifts at idle again. I'm thinking maybe the hoses took awhile to fill and push out the air?? Pump had oil because the wheel lean worked.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Please, can someone tell me what is this big part in circle ? What is its use ? Is it compulsory so mount it or we can make the machine run without it ? We have it and my mechanics seems not to know what it is...
As I remember that "tank" is an expansion tank for the hydraulic system and has nothing to do with the engine. I do remember some models having them back in the day.

From looking at SIS I'm thinking it has to due with the axial-piston pumps used on some models as the serial numbers for it use (87A5628-6862) seem to agree with the serial numbers for the machines that used the axial piston pumps for main hydraulic pump.

Forget what your serial number is for this machine.

As you mentioned in the other post about "cartridges" I'm thinking that tank is not needed for your machine.

As to the non-working hydraulics make sure suction lines are good and someone has not left a rag or cap to keep dirt out while it was apart. If someone says I ever did that I will deny it!