• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat Ap1055E

First time posting here. I have a Cat AP1055E paver(TJF00242)that is leaking oil from the pump gearbox into the flywheel housing. The pump gearbox takes 85w-140 gear oil and I’m having to add oil multiple times throughout the season. I would like to get it fixed this winter. Is it better to remove the engine, or remove the pumps and gearbox to make this repair? Approximately 8,000 hrs on this paver. Thank you

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
First time posting here. I have a Cat AP1055E paver(TJF00242)that is leaking oil from the pump gearbox into the flywheel housing. The pump gearbox takes 85w-140 gear oil and I’m having to add oil multiple times throughout the season. I would like to get it fixed this winter. Is it better to remove the engine, or remove the pumps and gearbox to make this repair? Approximately 8,000 hrs on this paver. Thank you
Have changed a lot of hoses on 1055B's . They are quite tight to work on no matter which machine. Most of the hoses under that engine are done unless they have been changed out already. The worst thing is hoses letting go in the middle of a job wasting all the labour of people standing around doing nothing till hose gets done. Lift engine out with pump and change all hoses underneath at one time for Thousnds more up front but way less downtime in the future. No wasted oil, damaged paving jobs and yelling and screaming to get it fixed. Wash unit very well to check for engine leaks before removal to make repairs easy to do when out. Or keep adding oil as needed to pump box. Hope this helps. Simon

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Have changed a lot of hoses on 1055B's . They are quite tight to work on no matter which machine. Most of the hoses under that engine are done unless they have been changed out already. The worst thing is hoses letting go in the middle of a job wasting all the labour of people standing around doing nothing till hose gets done. Lift engine out with pump and change all hoses underneath at one time for Thousnds more up front but way less downtime in the future. No wasted oil, damaged paving jobs and yelling and screaming to get it fixed. Wash unit very well to check for engine leaks before removal to make repairs easy to do when out. Or keep adding oil as needed to pump box. Hope this helps. Simon
Also a good time to get radiator work done when engine is out. If tooling is available change out front and rear seal on engine crankshaft. Fix everything that is impossible to get at inside the machine. Once back in machine its too late to make excuses for the cheapout. Just the labour saved in downtime is enormous when a whole paving crew and management are waiting on a fix, not to mention postponed jobs. That is how I see it. Most of the biggest companies i have seen now have accountants tell them which things will be repaired and how. Tripping over thousand dollar bills to pick up pennies. Who needs a mechanics advice anyways. Simon

Thanks for the reply. We don’t have this machine in the shop yet. Also waiting to see what the boss wants to do. Pull the engine and repair the pump gearbox leak or just keep adding and monitoring. I also see that the pump gearbox has a breather that is spring loaded. Is this to keep some pressure in the gearbox. What if I removed this breather and installed a regular breather? Thinking maybe the seal won’t leak as much

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Thanks for the reply. We don’t have this machine in the shop yet. Also waiting to see what the boss wants to do. Pull the engine and repair the pump gearbox leak or just keep adding and monitoring. I also see that the pump gearbox has a breather that is spring loaded. Is this to keep some pressure in the gearbox. What if I removed this breather and installed a regular breather? Thinking maybe the seal won’t leak as much
Hard to tell. I once fixed a splitter box on a pressure truck that was spitting the oil out the breather by installing a second breather hooked up to the top of it on a 1 foot hose and it never shot oil out again. Your gearbox is hooked up to flywheel housing and if the engine vent is plugged it could push the extra pressure into your gear box. Clean the crankcase blow-by vent first.
Hope it helps. Simon

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Tip my hat to you paver mechanics.

I see you guys working on these steamy, oily beasts, next to multiple lanes of traffic in 100 degree weather with 10 loaded 10-wheelers filled with asphalt and a paving crew watching your every move.
Kudos.

Vetech63

Tip my hat to you paver mechanics.

I see you guys working on these steamy, oily beasts, next to multiple lanes of traffic in 100 degree weather with 10 loaded 10-wheelers filled with asphalt and a paving crew watching your every move.
Kudos.
Its worse when the paver breaks down with a hopper full of fresh asphalt. That 100 degree heat turns into 170+. I have melted the soles of my shoes multiple times over the years.

Vetech63

This is just a personal preference of mine. I would pull the gearbox/pumps and leave the engine myself. My old school thinking doesn't allow me to disconnect items that don't go with the job at hand. Like said above, every hose is a bitch in those and at 8000 hours probably needs replaced. There isnt alot of places that gearbox can leak 90 weight gear oil. Do you know exactly where it is coming from? I had 2 that were pump mount leaks.

It has to be leaking from the input seal on the gearbox. Everything is dry on the other side where the pumps bolt to the gearbox. The flywheel housing is supposed to be a dry housing. There is a hole on the bottom of the housing and there is evidence of gear oil there. Every time I service the paver (200 hrs) I am having to add oil to the gearbox.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
It has to be leaking from the input seal on the gearbox. Everything is dry on the other side where the pumps bolt to the gearbox. The flywheel housing is supposed to be a dry housing. There is a hole on the bottom of the housing and there is evidence of gear oil there. Every time I service the paver (200 hrs) I am having to add oil to the gearbox.
With 8000 Hrs the input shaft seal must be hard as rock. Especially with the heat involved with the paver.

Reactions: DB2