• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D5H Trans oil temp light coming on

Michael75

Just another quick question. is there another trans screen that i missed besides the one that i cleaned out or anything else that i might have missed besides the trans filter and the metal screen that i cleaned. Also on this d5h the trans oil doesn't flow through the radiator. there is a cooler that sits on the left side of the motor. the trans lines hooks to it along with the radiator coolant lines.

Michael75

Another quick question... I have been running the dozer most of the day and the water temp is staying around 170 degrees... The trans temp light has been on and the gauge is reading up close to the red line... Shouldn't the water temp be higher than 170 degrees since the trans. oil runs through the cooler along with the antifreeze.. Wouldn't the hot oil that is running through the cooler be also heating up the antifreeze also?
thanks guys

Fred

G’Day Michael, with what you have said there about T-Con gage being near the red & light on, this tells me that light & gage seems to be working fairly correctly. If you are working in 1st gear when this is happening & T-Con isn’t in stall conditions I would suggest you do the following.
• Get T-Con outlet relief valve pressure checked, spring can become weak & allow lower pressure which can cause overheat.
• While getting this checked double check your gage against a master gage just to make sure.
• There is a screen in the bottom of the T-Con on the suction line that goes to the trans pump, check this.
• Before checking screen above, do a T-Con stall in 3rd gear with foot on brake till temp comes up, let idle for 30 seconds or so, shut of engine, remove hose & drain T-Con into a bucket. There shouldn’t be a lot of oil, rule of thumb 2 litres max. if more T-Con seals are leaking causing it to flood & generate heat.

Michael75

Hello, fred... when you say before checking t-con screen i need to do a stall in 3rd gear with foot on brake until temp comes up.. How much should i let the temp come up?
Hey Fred do you have an instant messenger where i can just IM you and talk without having to go through these threads?
thanks

jobob

d5h with similar problem

i have d5h with similar problem this is what i found out.... the engine was lugging really bad and torque heat problem and when torque got hot left steer clutch would start to chatter started checking pressures tc inlet pressure was good outlet relief was way low took it apart and found that there was no spool in the valve??? got new spool and set pressure fixed lugging problem still had heat problem kept digging and today i found that the steel line in clutch case that goes to tc is broken so out comes left final drive tommorrow also drained tc case while hot got pretty close to gallon out of there but friend mine at cat said that was bout normal for older tractor

jobob

also cut trans filter open it was clean could the torque conv been damaged from operating it like this the spool gone in the outlet relief had been that way a long times the bolt holding it on were covered by dirt had dig them out to take them and i dont know how long the privious owner operated the tractor like this not to mention the broken steel line for the inlet