• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D6K 247-9 abnormal update rate

wee_gus

Hello fellow wrench turner’s

I have a D6K, we have just had the engine out for a rebuild.

Refitted the engine and she ran for maybe 20-30 mins before we shut it down.

When we went to restart we had one error code
247-9
SAE datalink abnormal update rate.

We checked the engine harness and found some damaged cables, this was then repaired and started again and ram for a couple of mins before we shut it off again to restart, this time we
Had another code
590-9
Engine ECM abnormal update rate.

We removed the engine harness and opened it up to check for breaks on the cab Lines, we couldn’t see anything, refitted and it started but now we are back to original issue of 2 codes and non start.

Can anyone help with trouble shooting?

Serial No DHA00606

When the machine starts the codes are not present

Attachments

• IMG_0041.jpeg
    IMG_0041.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0043.jpeg
    IMG_0043.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
See attached. You are probably going to need an electrical schematic as well. If you don't have one feel free to ask

Attachments

• MID039 CID0247 FMI09 (KENR6324 D6K).pdf
    340.5 KB · Views: 10
  • MID039 CID0590 FMI09 (KENR6324 D6K).pdf
    214.8 KB · Views: 5

wee_gus

Thanks for the help, we got it running sweet this morning but now the saga continues,
We thought it had run out of fuel as was low, refilled with fresh fuel but no start turns and turns over.

We have checked the info can can see on cranking the injectors are disabled. Do you have any further pointers?

Nige

Get into the engine ECM status screen. You should find 2 parameters, one for actual fuel rail pressure, the other for desired fuel rail pressure. If the actual pressure does not reach the desired pressure while cranking that’s why the injection system is disabled.

wee_gus

We are getting good fuel pressure I would say

We put new speed sensor into primary and secondary today but still nothing
IMG_0088.jpeg

Nige

Desired pressure @ 0psi has me confused. Were you cranking the engine when you took that photo.? Edit: That's the wrong screen (I think). You need to be in the Status screen while cranking the engine. If ET drops out during cranking then powering the Comms Adapter from an external battery instead of via the machine power is an option.

Speed/Timing sensors "not detected" is also confusing. It should be accompanied with Diagnostic Codes I would've thought.

Nige

OK, so actual pressure is failing to reach desired pressure by about 250psi. Sorry I can't work in kPa.
Actual pressure must as an absolute minimum equal desired pressure and usually goes 50-100psi past it while the engine is cranking.
Once the engine is running the two values stabilize to be closer to one another.
That is why there is no signal from the ECM to light the fires.

You have a pressure loss somewhere in the HP fuel system. Rail PRV, injectors, pump. Take your pick.

You said the engine had been rebuilt. Check what parts went into the HP fuel system, and were they OEM or "will fit".?

Pep Joe

Occupation
Heavy equipment technician
Sorry it hovers around the 27500 -28000 mark
I'm more concerned on the injection disabled status that is ON.

I want to see the engine RPM status during cranking.
I want to see too the user shut down switch status.

Do well to send those information let's get some things straight.

wee_gus

Pump shaft has slipped on the gear, pulled the timing cover off this morning and re timed the machine, fuel pump off by approx 30 degrees.

New gear ordered from finning uk