• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat Engine Blink Codes

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Got a call from a client on Friday about another crusher with electrical problems. It's a 2002 Pegson jaw crusher with a Cat C9 engine. Was running fine when shut down. Sat a week or so and when they went to start it nothing happened. They got a blink code on the engine monitor of 37. Three flashes a pause and then seven flashes. No one seems to know what that means. I have a listing for truck engines and it doesn't show up at all. I have a master listing from 2011 that shows low coolant temperature alarm but that make no sense.

Any insights of where to start the troubleshooting would be appreciated. I've already talk to them about batteries and connections, starter and such. Basically the starter will not turn at all. Supposedly this is a different machine than my last post about a starter problem on a crusher.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Got a Serial Number John.? It would save a lot of blundering around looking for answers.

EDIT: Forget that. Here's the list............ 37 is a Fuel Pressure Sensor Fault
EDIT 2: A S/N would get you an Electrical Schematic. It appears as though the fuel pressure sensor (and many others) is a PWM type.

Attachments

• C9 Diagnostic Codes.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reactions: DB2

John C.

Occupation
Not so far. I think they are going call tomorrow and ask me to come have a look. I wasn’t aware they used blink codes so was just looking for a resource.

John C.

Occupation
I didn't get called to go out on this machine but did get a call with the serial number.

It is a Cat C9 Serial # CLJ02011.

The mechanic talked to the people selling the starters who said to check for voltage drop when the new starter was installed and engaged. I was told the voltage drops to about 19 volts. I think that is way more than I've seen on other engines of that size. What comes to mind is about 20 to 22. Anyway he is going to start the machine with a jumper and see what the voltage drops to after he checks the grounds and all the connection points at the batteries. The code went away this time when he started the engine.