• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat J621 motor scraper

Someguy

Hi Deas,

I agree that some of those beasties will give you a bad ride.
However I've been fortunate enough to sample a lot of machines and know which ones to steer clear of.
Also, I resisted the urge to go "cowboy" and concentrated on doing a good job.
My backs still in good condition 56 years on

Hard Riding Scrapers:
Cat 613
Cat 619
Cat J621
Cat DW-21
Cat 627 (non-cushion hitch)
Euclid TS-14 (if operated too fast)
Terex TS-18 (made me feel seasick !)
Euclid S-18
Terex S-11E

Good riding scrapers:
Any Cat 3-axle unit, especially DW20's
Cat 637
Euclid SS-12
Euclid TS-24
LeTourneau Westinghouse C
Wabco 111A
Michigan 110HT
Wabco 222
Wabco 333FT
Wabco 252FT

There are others which I've forgotten but that'll do for a short list

Which of those scrapers had suspension ? So the 2 axle tractors ride better than the single axle buggies that are so common these days ?

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Cat started putting cushion hitches on the 600 series in the late 60's, and the were pretty much standard by the mid 70's.
615 had a suspended axle, maybe the latest 613.
Terex has the suspended axle on the Loadrunner TS24B's, I am not sure about other models. Maybe the TS14 C and newer?
Komatsu scrapers from the late 80's had a suspended axle too. Suspended axles being a nitrogen gas/hydraulic strut sort of setup, similar to the how the cushion hitch works on a Cat.
Some later John Deere scrapers have the suspended axle as well.
The 3 axle scrapers ride better than a 2 axle with no cushion ride, some of the other guys will have to tell you exactly how much better. I haven't been fortunate (?) enough to run a 3 axle....yet.
Allis Chalmers and International scrapers are stiff knecks. And that's what they'll give you, too!
alan627b

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
Which of those scrapers had suspension ? So the 2 axle tractors ride better than the single axle buggies that are so common these days ?

The 637 had cushion hitch - and believe me it needed it.
You soon remeber to engage it if you'd forgotten !

I've operated several types of TS-24 and they all rode pretty good.
The 24B 'Loadrunner' was an excellent ride.
It had the suspended axle.

3-axle scrapers by their very design are easier riding but take a bit more room to turn round in.
They're not much use in hilly country however.