• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat vs Volvo vs Link-Belt vs Komatsu vs Kobelco

Mack

Well it is time to trade a our 1997 Cat 320.

We are looking for another excavator the same size and are wondering wich one would be the best.

We have had Cat's, Link-Belt's, and a Kobelco with the Kobelco being the least liked. Volvo and Cat are probablly the front runers with Link-Belt being a close 3rd.

Oh and I know my spelling sucks.

crazycajun

Get your 320 appraised, and then find out the value of one of the other machines the same age. that should answer your question right away. can't beat CAT as far as cost to run. in louisiana at least

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Why isn't Deere or Hitachi in the selection ?

If you have had good luck with Cat why don't you stick with them.

Mack

Why isn't Deere or Hitachi in the selection ?

If you have had good luck with Cat why don't you stick with them.

Well I forgot about Deere they have a dealer right down the street. Hitachi dosen't have a dealer anywhere near us.

The reason for not geting another Cat would be the price. We were geting some prices on loaders about a month ago and Cat was always $50,000 to $75,000 more:eek: and there excavators might be the same.

jazak

Well I forgot about Deere they have a dealer right down the street. Hitachi dosen't have a dealer anywhere near us.

The reason for not geting another Cat would be the price. We were geting some prices on loaders about a month ago and Cat was always $50,000 to $75,000 more:eek: and there excavators might be the same.

I call BS. I know for a fact they're not much more.

Anyway from the small amount of time I've spent on excavators and from what I've heard, I'd put John Deere & CASE on the list as well.

Also fro what I've found to work best when buying equipment (this applies for any piece of equipment) that dealer service is #1, how well it performs #2, and price is #3. This is just from my personal experience from being in the tree busines for over 20 years.

Mack

I call BS. I know for a fact they're not much more.

Anyway from the small amount of time I've spent on excavators and from what I've heard, I'd put John Deere & CASE on the list as well.

Also fro what I've found to work best when buying equipment (this applies for any piece of equipment) that dealer service is #1, how well it performs #2, and price is #3. This is just from my personal experience from being in the tree busines for over 20 years.

Nope not BS.:)

We have never had a Deere what is better about them than other machines?

Gmads

Occupation
Ditchdigger
cat 345c $389,000
deere 450d $381,000

cat 324d $203,000
komatsu 220 $194,000

Bought a Komatsu 220LC-7 few months ago - $171,000.
Bought a Volvo 330BLC 45 days ago w/450 hrs., 2 buckets & quick coupler - $179,000

I like CAT too, but in general higher priced in my neck of the woods. Actually, the last time I priced similar rubber-tired backhoes, Deere was slightly more than CAT with both of 'em 12-15% higher than Case.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Case and Link-Belt are the same machine, Sumitomo. John Deere and Hitachi are the same machines with different engines, Hitachi uses Isuzu mostly, John Deere uses their own engine. Caterpillar is made by Mitsubishi. Komatsu makes their own. What you should get from all this is Japan Inc.

Buy the machine that makes the most business sense to you. None are bad for the first 7,500 hours.

Mack

Well if there price is right it will most likley be Volvo being that we have had great service from them.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
As I recall Volvos are made by Samsung. I haven't worked on one in awhile but they were pretty standard Japanese components.

Maybe different now?

jazak

As I recall Volvos are made by Samsung. I haven't worked on one in awhile but they were pretty standard Japanese components.

Maybe different now?

Yah I think VOLVO is now different from Samsung. VOLVO has been getting big into the construction / excavating industry lately (i.e buying out the dirt side of IR). I think they could be buying out Bobcat soon as well. (IR & Bobcat where related)

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
I can't see Cat being that much more over the other brands. I know you are paying alot because of the Cat name.

Nothing wrong with Deere equipment or Hitachi which is used quite abit on the West Coast dealer support for Deere/Hitachi is good.

I'am not impressed with Komatsu they seem to be cheaply built I wouldn't buy one.

If your buying a machine that is significantly lower priced than the other brands you know darn well its a cheap piece of junk.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
I'am not impressed with Komatsu they seem to be cheaply built I wouldn't buy one.

Komatsu is one of the better excavators on the market. Their fit and finish is excellent, making it one of the most comfortable, capable and reliable machines on the market. Down here it is also one of the leaders in the excavator market so I find it hard to believe that they are cheaply built. I think its safe to say that the excavator is pretty much Komatsu's "flagship" piece of equipment.

In your expierence, what did you find that was cheap about them?

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
The 158 I ran which was 6 months old when I was running it was a cheap piece of junk. I had to do the repairs on it too and what a SOB to work on the hydraulic fittings were odd ball. I was trying to get fittings and it was sorry Komatsu only :mad:

Who ever designed those control levers in the excavators the buttons were cheap. The horn button was in the wrong spot. The fit and finish in the cab is cheap plastic. The outside sheet metal is even cheaper had to repair that too from damage from another operator.

The Komatsu was a PIG on fuel the 158 burned more fuel in a 8 hour day than the Isuzu in the 150 and the Deere engine in the 690.

I'am not impressed with Komatsu neither is quite a few other operators.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
The 158 I ran which was 6 months old when I was running it was a cheap piece of junk.

Just going by the numbers of equipment they sell, I doubt they could sell junk and still be one of the leaders in Heavy Equipment.

The fit and finish in the cab is cheap plastic. The outside sheet metal is even cheaper had to repair that too from damage from another operator.

Whats the difference between quality plastic and cheap plastic? I think you will find alot of plastic in any new piece of equipment, not just Komatsu.

How does the abuse of another operator cause the sheet metal to be cheap. We're talking sheet metal not 1/2 inch plate, which with the right kind of abuse can be damaged too.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
In Western Canada Komatsu just started to become known in the market I would say maybe in the last 5 years they have become more prevailant. The dealers were giving good deals to the contractors to make sales. The deals were considerably cheaper than Hitachi/Deere which still dominates the excavator market. Komatsu seen that Caterpillar wasn't interested in the construction market so Komatsu moved in. Caterpillar Canada is after the big players aka the oil sands and large mining operations. The small excavation contractor isn't in their mind.

Komastu seems cheaper than the other brands and I gets to sit in and try out newer machines because of the freight business my familly is in.

The bending sheet metal wasn't from operator abuse it was from one swing and it bumped into a tree the sheetmetal caved in. There were other problems with the 158.

Like I said if your buying a new machine and its considerably cheaper than the rest must say something.

Also look at the cost of repairing the machine if you buy the machine cheaper than the rest but when it comes to getting parts etc and it costs you double than the other brand its " I got ya".

Spend a little more money now or alot of money later.

surfer-joe

The real test of excavators, is when you eventually get out to that 7500 to 8500 hours mark, and have to start replacing or rebuilding some components. Good maintenance, good operators, good materials will buy you some time, but unless you figure to trade or sell at that point, the Cat will get you maybe another 2-3000 hours over the others. Course, then you still have to do something with it, eh? I've had good luck generally with Komatsu PC650's and 400's, but the 650 was where I learned the 8500 hour rule of thumb. Kiewit and others have had real good luck with Hitachi machines, maybe one of the driest excavators on the market, hydraulically speaking.

Dealer service is usually going to be better and quicker with Cat. Parts availability will be better. Equipment follow-up is way better with Cat. Resale value is much better and demand for used Cat's is better.

I guess I'm used to being with bigger contractors whom get better deals on equipment, but the cost-spreads fellas are mentioning here seem kinda extreme, not that I haven't heard things like this before. But Cat can and usually will get down in the muck and get dirty with pricing if they really want to make a sale, no matter if the purchaser has only one machine or a thousand. The last outfit I was with was a medium size contractor, but didn't have a lot of yellow iron. Still, the boss would just skin our CAT salesman alive on price and warranty's. We did have the advantage of being able and willing to buy in another state if we wanted to, that sharpened up the competition some. Still, you gotta play hard to get no matter what size your outfit is.

Good luck!

Mack

Well we just had our Link-Belt 4300 hit 8,500hr mark and so far nothing except normal stuff has happend to it.

I will agree with you on Cat parts they seem to be more availabill but as for dealer service Volvo has been the best.

As for Cat they don't seem the least bit willing to deal. Heck we called them a week ago trying to get a price on a 320 and no one has even called back yet.