• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Catalytic converter scrap price

mattyt1984

I have a 2003 international 4300 with a 6.0 engine. The cat was plugged so I removed and just put a muffler on it. What are these worth in scrap?

Shimmy1

Im my state it is both highly regulated and a big crime wave right now.
Couple weeks ago there was a news report about vehicles in Jamestown having the cats removed whole they were sitting on the street. What the hell will criminals come up with next?

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Toyota pickups are a popular target because they have the ground clearance to get under easy with a battery recip saw. Toyota tends to use more platinum than the other brands.

BigWrench55

In the early 2000's when gas prices were really high. In the Dallas area it wasn't uncommon to wake up with your fuel tank drilled and drained out. I was fortunate enough then to be living in the ghetto and no one suspected that I would have a full tank. On the other hand they did try to steal two of my trucks and did get a stereo out of my car. Funny story about the stereo. After I just got finished replacing the window they broke out and I mean minutes afterwards. A guy walks up to my car and tries to tear off my hood emblem. Not the first time I had to make my point with my 9mm. But soon afterwards the neighborhood knew not to mess with the crazy white boy with the gun. :D

Reactions: DB2

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I don't know what they are worth but someone tried to cut the cat out of my neighbor's pickup. They must of got spooked because they weren't successful.

DB2

Here they hacked two out of potato chip delivery truck (V8) while the guy was stocking the shelves at a local Walmart.

To me there should be some onus in the scrapyards that are buying them.

Old Doug

I have been very l
Here they hacked two out of potato chip delivery truck (V8) while the guy was stocking the shelves at a local Walmart.

To me there should be some onus in the scrapyards that are buying them.
There will always be some one to buy stolen stuff. Someday you will have to have a paper trial on every thing that will be good and bad. You may think this is a good ideal and i not totaly aginst it but when scrap got high they realy cracked down on stuff. I was at the scrap yard and a guy pulled up on the scales he had a 2 foot long chunk of frame rail they rejected his load because he didnt have a title from the truck it came from.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
My neighborhood mechanic friend whom I sold a spare backhoe to a couple weeks ago told me that a salvage outfit stops by his shop about every other month and buys his rotors and misc iron parts scraps, etc, etc. For the cataletic converters, when he stopped a couple weeks ago, he got $350.00 for the bigger ones off of full size cars and pickups. I got grandma's old 2001 Buick in the yard and he said to cut it off and bring it over and he would sell it for me. He figured it would be worth around $250.00 if the price holds. I was about to take the car to the scrap yard intact. Glad he came to pick up the hoe and happened to see it.

The decent paying reputable scrap yards around here require your picture and a photo copy of your drivers license before they will pay for anything. They got big signs plainly visable stating that, Dont unload if you don't like it. They have been burned to often.

Last edited:

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Holy cow! That’s some good scrilla.

I was driving through the bad part of Portland a couple years ago with my wife.
We’d driven past a couple improvised spray-painted plywood signs that read “ “buying cats”.

She asks me”Who’s buying all the kitties? Why? What are they doing with all the cats they buy?”

lol. Not Kitty Cats, sweets. Used car parts. Lol

Quint

I believe over the past decade there have been multiple junk recyclers shutdown due to taking in a bunch of stolen cats/dpfs/scrs. Guys were bringing in truck loads of them with no questions asked at the scrap yard.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I don't know of any around here that got shut down for it. More than once I've heard of the wiring pulled out of stadium lights and been to the scrapper and seen the insulation stripper going full blast.

skyking1

My scrap place makes you register I have a card in my wallet. they'll be cash for part of it but they always write a check for some, and they know who you are.

lantraxco

Best case I can remember, a whole truckload of aluminum pipe.... was guard rail off a state bridge! LMAO. Yeah they didn't get far.