• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar 528 "feller buncher"

Gavin Phillips

Occupation
office worker
In the early to mid 1980's, Caterpillar built a machine called the 528 Feller Buncher. The only "picture" if you can possible call it that, that I have seen of this beast, is one of those tiny little yellow icons which was on their product line brochure.

I have never seen a proper picture of this particular model or a brochure for it either. What is the rear attachment, a blade? I am semi-familiar with the logging winches fitted to the standard 508/518/528 wheeled machines but this model is very different for some reason. :beatsme

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Hi Gavin,
I believe that is the 528 skidder with the arch removed and a feller buncher head installed. The head is probably like what we call a hot saw today. I've seen similar units on a Hydro Axe.

I'll look around but I don't think I've seen those used in my section of the US. Those kinds of machines like flat ground and plantation style plantings like you find in the southeastern US.

roadrunner

Hi Gavin,
I believe that is the 528 skidder with the arch removed and a feller buncher head installed. The head is probably like what we call a hot saw today. I've seen similar units on a Hydro Axe.

I'll look around but I don't think I've seen those used in my section of the US. Those kinds of machines like flat ground and plantation style plantings like you find in the southeastern US.

I seen a FB518 wheeled buncher years ago,and worked beside it from another contractor.It had a Roto-Saw on it for a head.the machine was a turned around backward 518 skidder.Very slow and clumsy but at that time was the cat's ass compared to hand falling pulp wood.