• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar 980M fault codes

Oldboy

Occupation
Farming and machinery sales
We have received a 2018 980M from Europe.
Current hours 8590
It operated okay for an hour but now we have some faults and codes. It still drives, no auto greasing.
We have managed to get some Sims history and have learnt a little bit.

With a non dealer mechanic who has some access with laptop and software we have found the machine has had a constant problem with communications control group ( ECM) part # 459-0786 since:

First fail noted hours 3661
then hours 4455
then hours 8222
then hours 8569
There were about 17 faults showing when it failed here after about 1 hours operation ( see attached pic)
Found there was low voltage on the main power to the implement control ECM.
We ran a separate wire from fuse to ECM and this reduced the faults to ( see attached pic)

* Cat data link
*Auto lube
*Vims main module
* event: Auto lube level

Now asking for advice about next move. Cat dealer is cost prohibitive here unless we get desperate
I note the main cabin wiring harness has been updated in the Cat system ( but not on this machine) so wonder if the harness my have failed.
Or do we get a Cat tech over to see if the software has been updated properly?

With a 3 year history of replaced ECMs, ( Comms controllers-part # 459-0786 ) then we are wondering if it may have been the harness all along? ( old part#502-6609 new # 540-6899)
I appreciate your input thanks Michael.

Attachments

• Fault code current.jpg
    Fault code current.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Fault code original .jpg
    Fault code original .jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 9

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I note the main cabin wiring harness has been updated in the Cat system ( but not on this machine) so wonder if the harness my have failed.
There's no announcement about the cab harness Part Number change, although it is correct. It may be some type of running change from one P/N to another to accomodate different accessories or something of that ilk. Also interesting that the same P/N of cab harness is used in all iterations of M Series loaders from the 950M to the 982M, so if the change was to address a problem you'd have thought it would be published somewhere. BTW I'm not saying the cab harness on your machine might not be faulty.....

Everything on that ET screen has popped up within less than 30 hours of the current hourmeter reading.
My vote would be first to do the troubleshooting procedures that apply to the 247-9, 248-9 & 596-9 Datalink Codes and see what that throws up. If you want a complete electrical schematic shout out.

Attachments

• CAN - Test.pdf
    188.6 KB · Views: 2
  • CDL - Test.pdf
    187.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Zac93

The autolubes on these are very susceptible to air locks when run low on grease. Almost every E890 I have seen just needs a grease topup then the system to be run in continuous test mode (accessible in the monitor) until the E890 goes away.

Try that see how it goes

Oldboy

Occupation
There's no announcement about the cab harness Part Number change, although it is correct. It may be some type of running change from one P/N to another to accomodate different accessories or something of that ilk. Also interesting that the same P/N of cab harness is used in all iterations of M Series loaders from the 950M to the 982M, so if the change was to address a problem you'd have thought it would be published somewhere. BTW I'm not saying the cab harness on your machine might not be faulty.....

Everything on that ET screen has popped up within less than 30 hours of the current hourmeter reading.
My vote would be first to do the troubleshooting procedures that apply to the 247-9, 248-9 & 596-9 Datalink Codes and see what that throws up. If you want a complete electrical schematic shout out.
Hello Nige, thanks for your input. Ill be hoping no new harness is required as they cost about $10K over here. Its weird that the they have replaced that ECM 4 times in 8500 hours.
Will do as you suggest and see how it goes.
If we need that schematic Ill be back to you, much appreciated. Cheers

Oldboy

Occupation
The autolubes on these are very susceptible to air locks when run low on grease. Almost every E890 I have seen just needs a grease topup then the system to be run in continuous test mode (accessible in the monitor) until the E890 goes away.

Try that see how it goes
Hello Zac, thanks for that info I will definitely look into it. Be nice f something is easier fix. Cheers

Oldboy

Occupation
Hello Nige, thanks for your input. Ill be hoping no new harness is required as they cost about $10K over here. Its weird that the they have replaced that ECM 4 times in 8500 hours.
Will do as you suggest and see how it goes.
If we need that schematic Ill be back to you, much appreciated. Cheers

Hello Nige, I spoke to the fellas in the workshop and they said the electrical schematic might be very handy to have thanks for the offer.

Oldboy

Occupation

thanks Nige, ill keep you posted when we make progress.

Oldboy

Occupation
We have received a 2018 980M from Europe.
Current hours 8590
It operated okay for an hour but now we have some faults and codes. It still drives, no auto greasing.
We have managed to get some Sims history and have learnt a little bit.

With a non dealer mechanic who has some access with laptop and software we have found the machine has had a constant problem with communications control group ( ECM) part # 459-0786 since:

First fail noted hours 3661
then hours 4455
then hours 8222
then hours 8569
There were about 17 faults showing when it failed here after about 1 hours operation ( see attached pic)
Found there was low voltage on the main power to the implement control ECM.
We ran a separate wire from fuse to ECM and this reduced the faults to ( see attached pic)

* Cat data link
*Auto lube
*Vims main module
* event: Auto lube level

Now asking for advice about next move. Cat dealer is cost prohibitive here unless we get desperate
Or do we get a Cat tech over to see if the software has been updated properly?

With a 3 year history of replaced ECMs, ( Comms controllers-part # 459-0786 ) then we are wondering if it may have been the harness all along? ( old part#502-6609 new # 540-6899)
I appreciate your input thanks Michael.
Hello Nige
Some photos and an update. We have found a green corrosive joint in the main cab harness . see pics. this was in the main power feed and the problem was close to the ECM. No idea how this could have gotten like this, almost like moisture entered the harness at manufacture.

Having repaired this wire now, we still have the issue with the auto greaser. it works well if we put separate power to it but of course it just runs without stopping as the computer/ display control is bypassed.
We have found that the connection point on the ECM that controls the auto greaser has no power at that point where the harness connects. the wire in the harness appears to be fine.
It may be switched off somehow or the ECM may need looking at.
We have fully checked CAN A and CDL and they are okay ( that's all cabin harnesses). that leaves the CAN B & C to do. Engine side.
Your thoughts are appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5518.jpg
    IMG_5518.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5515.jpg
    IMG_5515.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5513.jpg
    IMG_5513.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5519.jpg
    IMG_5519.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 6

Oldboy

Occupation
Hello Nige
Some photos and an update. We have found a green corrosive joint in the main cab harness . see pics. this was in the main power feed and the problem was close to the ECM. No idea how this could have gotten like this, almost like moisture entered the harness at manufacture.

Having repaired this wire now, we still have the issue with the auto greaser. it works well if we put separate power to it but of course it just runs without stopping as the computer/ display control is bypassed.
We have found that the connection point on the ECM that controls the auto greaser has no power at that point where the harness connects. the wire in the harness appears to be fine.
It may be switched off somehow or the ECM may need looking at.
We have fully checked CAN A and CDL and they are okay ( that's all cabin harnesses). that leaves the CAN B & C to do. Engine side.
Your thoughts are appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5510.jpg
    IMG_5510.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5512.jpg
    IMG_5512.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5518.jpg
    IMG_5518.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 4

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Do you have, or have access to, ET.?
Get into the chassis or transmission ECM, off-hand I can't remember which one controls the autolube, and take a look to see whether or not it is disabled and/or what the settings are. If you do get into the machine download a Product Status Report for all the ECMs and post it up. They are always handy to have for future reference.

Oldboy

Occupation
Do you have, or have access to, ET.?
Get into the chassis or transmission ECM, off-hand I can't remember which one controls the autolube, and take a look to see whether or not it is disabled and/or what the settings are. If you do get into the machine download a Product Status Report for all the ECMs and post it up. They are always handy to have for future reference.
thanks Nige, keep you posted.