• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Challenging fourth year heavy equipment tech

CatManDoes

Occupation
Heavy equipment mechanic
Yeah I just challenged in last month. Spent a month thumbing over the 4th year modules here and there...passed it. Best $150 I ever spent. I didn't find it overly hard...only 3-4 questions out of 150 that I didn't have any idea what the answer was. So if you can read over the modules before you go and write...

Per Eriksson

What is this?
Some kind of tests you can take to confirm your skills and hopefully increase your pay?

swampdog

What is this?
Some kind of tests you can take to confirm your skills and hopefully increase your pay?

Correct me if I am wrong, but this sounds like the Canadian trade apprenticeship system. Many trades require four years of training before one can write the big test and obtain journeyman papers. Each year requires a combination of on the job training and classroom instruction. If one has enough time in on the job, it is possible to "challenge" the exams instead of putting in the time in the classroom.