• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Chi's trivia thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

chidog

This will be interesting things. And please add some yourself. All this relates to this industry in some form.

I'll start it out with what color is Crude oil? Does it spew out looking like an old engine just had a rod come through the block?
Does it always look, like shown on the news when ducks and such get in a oil spill? I didn't know this till recently on a oil field show I saw on tv. I always thought the above.
This will answer that question.
https://www.businessinsider.com/bizarre-photos-reveal-what-crude-oil-actually-looks-like-2020-4
More to come I just don't want to load up one post.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Here's one and I don't know how it keeps getting spread: which axle on a tandem truck provides drive?

Both axles drive all the time. Contrary to popular belief the inter-axle lock simply prevents differential action from taking place in the power divider. It doesn't "engage" the other diff.

cfherrman

Just in the counties around where I live I've seen the crude come out as a thick paraphin that's close to a wax and I've seen it look like mobil 1 with a slight red tint. When I saw it I said to pop the hood and put it in the truck.

I was always told the rear axles normally drive the truck down the road, I have a broken output shaft and locked in the interaxle and drove 499 miles before something in the front axle broke.

My quiz, what is produced along with oil in a oil well? Saltwater!

Truck Shop

A common over used term-Double Over 15 speed--Eaton never made a double overdrive 15 speed,
only in the 13 speeds RTOO14613 or 12513 or 9513. Only used in the early boxes.

chidog

In my first post, need to scroll down to see the other pictures.

An unexpected finding from 1985, the topic SEMT Pielstick PA 6 diesel Engine, mentions reducing the compression ratio from 11.7 to 8.5, my little gas car is 10 I think.

Last edited:

chidog

How does a diesel run at that low compression? Idi?
Very carefully ! ;) For sure it won't be started cold in the Arctic, defiantly needs major preheating and heating for long term idling. It works they've done it. I'm with you didn't think it would work that great.
They are of course boosting it to extract any sort of power.
This goes to show why an average gasoline engine would not run good on diesel. Gasoline inhibits compression ignition.

Welder Dave

Another thing a lot of people get wrong is which direction direct current electricity travels. Many people think positive to negative but it's wrong. It flows negative to positive. In welding it makes a lot of difference and is critical which way it's flowing in a lot of applications.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Another thing a lot of people get wrong is which direction direct current electricity travels. Many people think positive to negative but it's wrong. It flows negative to positive. In welding it makes a lot of difference and is critical which way it's flowing in a lot of applications.
Its interesting that during the electrical portion in 1st year HD they explain both theories to students. Conventional Theory (positive to negative) and Electron Theory (negative to positive). I honestly cannot remember which is the accepted theory in HD but I do remember the instructor telling us the automotive program follows the opposite theory.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
And left front-note those are always the long axles plus the pinion contacts the ring gear on those sides.
I do remember an instructor in school explaining that its roughly 50/50 into each diff.

When in a tridrive setup apparently the first diff puts 50% to the ground and the rear 2 split the remaining 50% equally, putting 25% of engine output into each. I don't know if that's true or not, I'm not an engineer lol.

JD955SC

Its interesting that during the electrical portion in 1st year HD they explain both theories to students. Conventional Theory (positive to negative) and Electron Theory (negative to positive). I honestly cannot remember which is the accepted theory in HD but I do remember the instructor telling us the automotive program follows the opposite theory.

they explain it both ways and it confuses everybody. For all intents and purposes of troubleshooting thinking of flowing from positive to negative for modern DC electrical gets you to where you need to go.

I have found that the way the common electrical class is taught is an absolute disservice to actually understanding the electrical and electronic equipment and performing troubleshooting on it all. Once I retaught myself it all became easy, until I did trying to follow their way did not work and I see the exact same troubles in our apprentices.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
This will be interesting things. And please add some yourself. All this relates to this industry in some form.

I'll start it out with what color is Crude oil? Does it spew out looking like an old engine just had a rod come through the block?
Does it always look, like shown on the news when ducks and such get in a oil spill? I didn't know this till recently on a oil field show I saw on tv. I always thought the above.
This will answer that question.
https://www.businessinsider.com/bizarre-photos-reveal-what-crude-oil-actually-looks-like-2020-4
More to come I just don't want to load up one post.
Depends where it comes from.
Pennsylvania crude has a green tinge to it, also loaded with paraffin wax.

chidog

they explain it both ways and it confuses everybody. For all intents and purposes of troubleshooting thinking of flowing from positive to negative for modern DC electrical gets you to where you need to go.

I have found that the way the common electrical class is taught is an absolute disservice to actually understanding the electrical and electronic equipment and performing troubleshooting on it all. Once I retaught myself it all became easy, until I did trying to follow their way did not work and I see the exact same troubles in our apprentices.
Though not true when thinking discrete electronic components. You can't even test a diode with a multimeter using their 1800's conventional current model. Nor would you ever understand how a vacuum tube works.
Its easy if you think electron is small and proton is huge.

My next fun deal. In what device would I find a magnet motor?

scholzee

If you have a pipe 10 ft tall 1ft diameter filled with water and a pipe 10 ft tall 10 ft diameter filled with water, with a pressure gage at the bottom what PSI will the gauges read ?

27,68 inches of water will create 1 psi so each pipes pressure gage will read the same about 4. 33 psi. Think of diving in the ocean if you are 10 feet deep about 4.33 psi on you same as if you are 10 ft doen in a pool. The diameter of pipe does not affect the pressure the height of water creates

Status
Not open for further replies.