• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Chi's trivia thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaredV

I have a 9 speed in the dump truck and not having much experience driving big trucks was wondering how to put it in reverse in high range. Can you just let off the throttle for a second and flip the lever up while moving or can you start in high range? Sometimes I need to back up a ways. I have concluded that it's very hard to shift from granny low into to 1st while still moving. When you get on firmer ground you can stop and then start off in 1st. gear. Reverse I'm not sure how to get in high range.

Wind it up, preselect high range and double clutch the shift. If your engine takes a long time to slow down it's gonna be harder do do. Eaton doesn't recommend it, though. The other way either involves starting in high and slipping the clutch only if you're empty, or having a hill to help get rolling which is the least abusive way. The decal on the dash if it's still there will say not to change range while moving in reverse but doesn't say anything about using high in reverse. If you have two speed rears, low range and high in the tranny is a nice combination. When he works on logging roads and sometimes has to back up for hundreds of yards ten times a day, a guy figures this stuff out.

Last edited:

Welder Dave

Yes the sticker says to not to change range but nothing about going in reverse in high range. I wasn't sure if reverse high is supposed to be used or how to get into high in reverse. If it's not recommended I'll just keep using only low.

chidog

Sounds like all this shifting trucks needs its own thread. Nothing trivia about shifting gears.

chidog

The weather talk in the John Deere right to repair thread should be here.

Lets start with this. Climate change is a one sided agenda driven, belief structure.

chidog

Wow 3rd year in a row. A high pressure area installed just north east of Wa state, and here goes our temperatures into the 80 plus range again. So what are the odds of that?

chidog

Things man can not do.
He can not run 60 MPH.
He can not swim for months.
He can not lift 10,000 pounds.
He can not fly.
What else can he not do?

But with a Machine he can do all these things.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
One thing Man cannot do is control the worlds weather and climate, and that Geoengineering Watch website must be the conspiracy theorists Holy Site.
Dane Wigington is off with the fairies, he must have sniffed something that destroyed a lot of his brain neurons.

Re the crude oil colour, viscosity, and appearance - a former employee went with an oil and gas drilling operation in Central Australia in the early 1980's.
He told me how some of the wells they drilled produced a crude so pure-looking and diesel-like, they poured it straight into the Toyota Landcruiser fuel tanks and ran the 'Cruisers on it without a single problem of any kind.
The main problem was, those drill holes that produced that high quality crude were determined to have no commercial quantities of crude oil in them.

Here's something a little different. What U.S. Navy ships in WW2 carried an American Hoist and Derrick, 10 ton rotating crane, powered by a 6cyl Cummins, as part of their superstructure?
You've possibly seen a photo of one of them operating after the Pearl Harbor attack.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
One thing Man cannot do is control the worlds weather and climate, and that Geoengineering Watch website must be the conspiracy theorists Holy Site.
Dane Wigington is off with the fairies, he must have sniffed something that destroyed a lot of his brain neurons.

Well spoken, Sir.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Videos are one of the most useful propaganda tools ever devised. You cannot explain how man can control the weather with one video or a website full of videos, the only thing that will explain is how you have been convinced that man can control the weather.

People can be convinced of all sorts of things via videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.