• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Clutch trouble shooting

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Always good info.

Local I deal with complaining of clutch chattering hard to get in gear, slipping at high speed and almost new, Button Clutch. Told take it back to shop that installed warranty. They initially tried to railroad him on expense said he cooked it. He was allowed to watch it come out, 14" Four Button plates and clocked or installed 1/8th turn OFF from each other pads not engaging on top of each other, center plate blued and warped, dogs had NOT been replaced and had stairsteps on them, best yet the release bearing shipping blocks, inside the pressure plate. 34xxx miles. Foreman was embarrassed, HIS Own boy did the clutch replace, ate the entire ticket.

skyking1

I toasted my clutch brake today, this is a timely thread. I have never had to replace on, do you have any advice beyond watching yourube videos, or should i just take it by my truck shop and have them do it?

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I don't think doing clutch brakes is that bad, kinda sucks when it sill has a one piece in there. Having a cutter kit comes in handy then cause they bust off easy once you drill em with the guide, having to torch or just go medieval with a long air chisel bit kinda sucks lol.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I had preferred the current two piece pin together when still installing these, then when or IF fail becomes less hassle to replace otherwise it can be a bear.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
International trucks I drove had a air button on the gear lever to operate the clutch brake. It was far better than having it on the pedal, can't remember that brake ever being replaced.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
If adjustments are maintained and drivers don't try to stop the truck with the clutch brake, they should last the life of the clutch. I remember the sound of those little molten berries dropping down on me. Tried the long chisel too. The tits were usually torn off as well, so the steel would spin around unless you could get a set of grips in there. Absolutely hated the 1 piece. Not that the old 3 piece was much better. I liked the hinged one with the screw that would lock it in place. None of that matters until you train the drivers.

Truck Shop

A truck that I did service work and repairs on years back was a money maker for the owner operator who had it. 1.3 million miles on it
when he traded it in {1984 W900} 400 cat. Never had a clutch or clutch brake or transmission replaced. Rear drives were original,
engine had most everything on the outside replaced and three sets of bearings and two sets of nozzles was it internally. Only he drove
it. In some cases when the driver is footing the bill for repairs habits change.

Shimmy1

International trucks I drove had a air button on the gear lever to operate the clutch brake. It was far better than having it on the pedal, can't remember that brake ever being replaced.
Those were only on trucks with a push-type clutch, at least here in the States. Cat 3208 were the only ones I knew of that had that type of brake.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
At one time Mack had the Clutch Brake on a Countershaft head, Low in the bell housing, need not remove trans to replace.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Those were only on trucks with a push-type clutch, at least here in the States. Cat 3208 were the only ones I knew of that had that type of brake.
These were Acco 2150 and 3070 models, Cummins powered ,RR gearbox, Australian made.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
At one time Mack had the Clutch Brake on a Countershaft head, Low in the bell housing, need not remove trans to replace.
You talking about the Triplex and Quadruplex transmissions? With the brake disk held in place with left handed threaded bolt?

Never had the chance to swap one of them out in-frame, by the time I saw one of them there were pieces of reverse idler laying in the bottom of the case. Seems some people don't know that shifting into reverse while rolling forwards is not good practice!

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
Yeah I think the babcock ones are the only 2 piece worth anything too. Those eaton ones that use the tiny cap screws I always find stripped out cause someone when all incredible hulk with the allen key and have to destructively remove anyway.