• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Coolant in oil Detroit 6V53 Diesel Engine

Btad

It might get 200 hrs over the next 10 years
It doesn't smoke after it starts up
And it starts right up hours later it just takes a shot of either the first start of the day
I will check the air box tomorrow
Does it cold start system
I have not even looked into Yet

Tyler d4c

The rod cap bearing is always going to look good in a Detroit unless something has gone through it. The rod cap is never loaded in a two stroke.
A fellow told me once a detroit is running they could fall off and not mean a thing.

I for some reason think it wouldn't be all roses and daisy's for too long

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Here are some of my personal thoughts on the 2 stroke Detroits. If it won't start without ether within a 15 second crank cycle at 35 degrees, the compression is down a bit from wear, or misadjustments to the fuel rack, overhead, timing, governor, or fuel pump delivery pressure should be/need evaluated. Each engine is different so not assuming rings, valves, or anything really as they are all tended to with a "freshening up".

Most of the two strokes take to ether like a duck to water but it's easy to overdo it without a "measured shot" system installed. The unfortunate part is many engines, (all series and types) have met an early demise because many tend to overdo it with the spray. Just a quick shot is all that's needed but I've lost count of the times I've seen a steady stream being applied till the engine fires off and the subsequent preignition resultant that shortens lifespans. I've had several apart with busted rings, mashed ring lands, severe burning to piston crowns etc. from the overuse of ether.

I've not been around a lot of the "53" series myself but those I have been around have been maintained well and start very easily.

1693TA

Occupation
It made for a great engine in a skidder.
Yes they did. Several "TimberJack" skidders still around at a local sawmill outfit that really like them.

My old TLB has a 3-53 and it's a great engine so far. Maintained a lot of standby power generators in years gone by that were 4-53, and 6V-53 series that served very well. Always kept at 130 degrees with immersion heaters, (FAA standard) so never any ether assist.

1693TA

Occupation
I should clarify my last statement(s) in my use of the word "lot". Air control centers use multiple generator sets in the same shelter or building and these are referred to as "lots"; not a number or count of the same.

Btad

Well the best part of working on a different kind of eingen is I get to by new tools
I just ordered a cylinder liner puller
Compression tester
I already have a

Sealey TL95 Timing Light​

Is there anything else you guys can think I might need

56wrench

Not sure what good the timing light will be on this job. You need various detroit tools for the valve lash adjustment, injector timing and governor settings, a good piston ring compressor, suction cup/hand vacuum pump for checking wrist pin retainers, and various other hand tools for proper reassembly

Btad

The timing light is for diesels it clamps on to injections line
I have been working on Gass eingens probably longer than most have lived
But just starting to work on heavy equipment
That I am buying fir my building project
Si most of this stuff I already have
But I don't have any of the specifics tools needed for a detroit
Is the suction cup used to remove pistons?
How is a vacuum pump used to check wrist pin retainers?

I do love learning new things
Thanks all

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
There is no injection line to get a timing pulse from. Timing is set by setting a certain distance on the rocker adjustment for the injector.

What you really need is a service manual for this engine. Every diesel has its own little quirks especially the part where you put the overhead stuff back together and make the adjustments.

Btad

I do have a tech manual
Just looking for words of wisdom from people who have years of experience
Witch I don't have on heavy equipment
And let me tell you the words of wisdom here have saved me lots
I was just planning on on fixing the 1 bad cylinder
But not no more

Truck Shop

A few places that have specialty tools for 53 series.
Monaco has a web site. and
Sometimes can be found used for reasonable price, but it will give you an idea what new
is verse used.

Truck Shop

Gave my howler monkey tools away sometime back, except I found a leftover lurking under:)
the mat in a drawer-over to the vise and torched it.