• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Coolant in oil Detroit 6V53 Diesel Engine

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
There is no injection line to get a timing pulse from. Timing is set by setting a certain distance on the rocker adjustment for the injector.

What you really need is a service manual for this engine. Every diesel has its own little quirks especially the part where you put the overhead stuff back together and make the adjustments.
Yes before you spend too much on tools you should decide what engines you plan to work on and get to know what tools you really need. I'm sure there is at least one person on the forum who can tell you what you need and what you don't really need for just about any engine made in the last 75 years!

Might be just me but I would try to concentrate on what ever is the most common in you area and what age of machines you want to work on.

Btad

Well we had 1 nice days so I went to check the oil clances and I can only get it to 60 foot pounds and the stud start to spin
So I went to a different Cap and tried it torque and she same
In all the gas eingens I have done over the years never seen this
Any thoughts

Btad

The ones I have delt with are either pressed in or a flat like you said
My biggest concern is the one I checked I couldn't go more than 60 fp
And I didn't loosen
Just checking it's torque

Btad

Vetech to the rescue again

I think I just f## up
I was using the wrong specs I thought 120fp
Not 40
Should I replace the 2 I over torqued
Dam amateurs me. Not you me
Thanks vetech

Btad

My old one was a click stop
I just but a new digital
And I did a calc check with 2 different pull scales
I have well over 30+ years in the construction union and the only way to check a level and square is against it self

I have not found any like that for a torque wrench

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
At the school where I went, torque testers were mounted on the wall. Just an arm with a weight driven by a gear with a square hole. When you checked out a torque wrench, they told you to dial up the number you needed on the wall each time. Not to look at the number on the wrench since they did not bother to calibrate them.

The testers never go out of adjustment since they are just a weight on a fixed length.