• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Couldnt Resist

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Looks to me like the stuff you're buying is simply cheap Chinese products, not "salvage" as in the true sense of the word.

There's plenty of deviousness in many retailers advertising as to where their products come from.

There are very few true "salvage" shops left in my neck of the woods. These shops would sell offcuts, end-of-line products, surplus from major projects, overstock from wholesalers, items acquired from auctions, and so on.
There's only one of these true salvage shops left in my local area now - but even he's selling bulk new Chinese products today, as well as true salvage.

Cheap Chinese imports drove most true salvage shops out of business, and the likes of steel offcuts are almost non-existent, because offcuts go in the scrap bins and get shipped to China, where the demand for clean recycled steel is huge.

Like most buyers today however, I buy from auctions now, as the true salvage stores have gradually died out. Most died out because the owner died, and the family didn't want the business.

I get my workshop supplies such as welding and cutting consumables from the auction houses. The problem then is having to buy a pallet load of stuff and then sort out what you'll use and try to sell the remainder.
It works for me, I often buy a pallet load of new welding consumables, take out what I need and sell the rest and double or triple what I paid for the pallet.

I recently picked up a pallet of high quality electrodes, probably 200 x 5kg packets, many of them high-chrome content electrodes, E9018 and the likes, copper gouging electrodes - all for AU$136 for the entire pallet.
This was all new surplus from some major project, where they probably spent $50M on welding consumables, and anything left over was deemed to have zero commercial value, so it goes to auction to be sold for a pittance.

As for drill bits, I long ago gave up on HSS drill bits, I only buy cobalt bits today.
I have too much high tensile steel to put together or repair, and HSS drill bits don't cut it - especially when you buy a box of drill bits that has a big Stars and Stripes on the box - then the fine print says "Box made in U.S.A., drills made in China!!"

nowing75

Hastelloy W is more than about any other rod you can buy, except for some really exotic hard facing alloys. But its really good stuff.
when i worked for united airlines hastelloy w was the only steel rod we had. We would make dollys for tool boxes and other crap out of mild steel in our spare time. One of the guys went to by some for his home shop and about fell over when the local welding shop gave him the price.

Old Doug

Looks to me like the stuff you're buying is simply cheap Chinese products, not "salvage" as in the true sense of the word.

There is 3 places here they bid on gaylord boxs full of everything . Two of them have been open for several years they have a lot of stuff they will never sell. My Dad was in the same deal along with 3 guys with in 20 miles . They sold alot of salvage food stuff and some other stuff. I helped Dad and worked part time for one that was in the same town. We were all good friends. They know what i liked and would give me first chance at stuff. Its hard to pass up some of this stuff when you can get a Snap on ratchet for $25.00 . I havent been to the place i got the stuff from lately its kind of like a drug i have more stuff than i can use.

Old Doug

I went to airgas up here in Iowa they had 10# of stainless steel flux coated tig rod thats what they told me they were on close out. I had never heard of them i should have got the number off the box but i didnt . I looked up flux coated tig rod and its for when you cant purge a pipe or something with argon.

Welder Dave

Some pics. of the container and/or a description would be nice. I wonder if ut's something like Solar Flux on the rods.

Old Doug

Some pics. of the container and/or a description would be nice. I wonder if ut's something like Solar Flux on the rods.
Sorry but i am heading home today and the places is in the wrong direction . I all most bought the box but its another one of those things that i dont really need wright now or ever.

Old Doug

I went to the salvage place yesterday. They had more 1/16 steel rod i bought anther 10# for $10.00 . They had some more stainless rod i didnt buy any of that. I got a Sonic 30mm wrench. I never heard of that brand but i looked it up and they are good for $6.00 you cant go wrong. I said this before but i did have a note pad with what i could use or didnt have wrote down in it i need to find it and start taking it with me.

Attachments

• IMG_20230813_082109.jpg
    IMG_20230813_082109.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 8