• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cutting windmill blades

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Nukes are already determined as to decom
All materials that can be decontaminated or determined as NOT contaminated can return to common waste or recycling systems. The entire site after tear down is to be reclaimed sufficiently to allow open public usage. Is all notated and finances established as plant operates as to this.

Trojan was recently returned to before use access except for the guards center and the spent fuel storage facility that will both go away once the DOE takes possession to their facilities.

emmett518

Repurpose them into those tiny homes. Buy them on the cheap, cut it in half, use the big end for a bunker and the flat end for an approach or an awning. Sell the whole shebang for $ 25K installed to every prepper in the country........retire wealthy to some deserted island. Problem solved!!!!:D

Dynamite?

aighead

@673moto good but I bet yuck! I can't imagine the chemicals needed to melt one of those down but I bet I wouldn't want to work there or the mines where they find these chemicals.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer

aighead

I picture similar to when you hose down packing peanuts with acetone. It would look cool. My guess is it's not that way at all.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
That much acetone then to remove that rom the solution to get a reusable component and maybe a reusable reduction component. Talking hundreds to thousands of gallons per blade. Then the human contact or exposure value. Have to find thos will to work in Air Supplied respirators and full body hazmat suits.

Then as loads to non usable what to do with the solvent???

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
It’s been brought up on other sites that this new tech is only for recycling the resins... the fibers are still wasted at this point

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Good thought, depending on local noise regulations, some det cord to cut the blades into quarters in the long axis, then easier to munch up.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
It would take a lot of det cord to cut those sections into smaller pieces. That fiberglass is thick. You would have to run multiple strands of 100 gn det cord on each cut to get through it. It would be interesting to try, I just wouldn't want to have to buy all the Det Cord.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
In the early 80's is was working on a hydro dam excavation job and they were using a product called shear cord for doing the finish face cut in rock. It was about 5/8" diameter, looked like and behaved the same as det cord but with more grunt. Could be a possibility for cutting blades if it's still a thing.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have never come across that type of det cord. 100 gn is the largest I have used and by comparison it is approximately a quarter inch in diameter, 5/8" in diameter would be pretty impressive.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
https://images.app.goo.gl/ru2ajRpJbfNSqsiD8
Both faces to the right side of the spillway and between the powerhouse and dam wall is where shear cord was used. The waterway on the left was the diversion channel where it may have been used but that was before my time there.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

This thread------The oldest windmills around here are being revamped. There are lots full of cut up
blades.