• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5C bevel gear question

D4's D5

Occupation
Instrument/Electrical Technician
Hello,
I've got a D5C, around a 1992 model, ser # 6pj1xxx. Dozer has 3500 hours on it. I am leaking a little oil from the bevel pinion shaft seal. Not a real bad job to replace the seal, but I pulled the PTO plate off the back of the bevel gear housing to have a look at the gears, and the Ring gear has some wear on it, but the Pinion gear is pretty sharp on the edges of the teeth. I'm wondering if I can get the bevel shaft gear assembly out of the machine without removing the transmission? The machine has a short driveshaft between the transmission and the bevel gear case, maybe 7 or 8 inches long. Looks like there is enough room, but I'm looking for someone who may have already removed one. I'm planning on replacing just the Bevel gear pinion and bearings, and putting a magnet in the gearcase to capture any other metal that wears. I understand the right thing to do is replace both gears, but the ring gear requires a total teardown of the finals and clutches. Thank you for any help you can offer.

Kirk

D4's D5

Occupation
Instrument/Electrical Technician
The carrier is able to be removed from the dozer with just removing the driveshaft and the 6 bolts holding the pinion carrier group in. And I bought a used pinion for 200 dollars, way better than the $650 Cat wanted for a new one. Thanks for the help....ooops, there wasn't any, my bad.

K

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Thanks for the update, Kirk. With really specific questions, sometimes nobody knows specifically, or somebody who does know hasn't visited the site in a few days. At least now your experience is here, for anyone with a similar problem later on to read about. (Kinda gives you a warm feeling, doesn't it? ):)

steve loving

beval gear

Hello,
I've got a D5C, around a 1992 model, ser # 6pj1xxx. Dozer has 3500 hours on it. I am leaking a little oil from the bevel pinion shaft seal. Not a real bad job to replace the seal, but I pulled the PTO plate off the back of the bevel gear housing to have a look at the gears, and the Ring gear has some wear on it, but the Pinion gear is pretty sharp on the edges of the teeth. I'm wondering if I can get the bevel shaft gear assembly out of the machine without removing the transmission? The machine has a short driveshaft between the transmission and the bevel gear case, maybe 7 or 8 inches long. Looks like there is enough room, but I'm looking for someone who may have already removed one. I'm planning on replacing just the Bevel gear pinion and bearings, and putting a magnet in the gearcase to capture any other metal that wears. I understand the right thing to do is replace both gears, but the ring gear requires a total teardown of the finals and clutches. Thank you for any help you can offer.

Kirk
kirk yould should be able to remove it without removing the transmission the parts you need is pinion 5g4772/ring gear 817102 47 tooth and 6s3160 shim pack to set pinion depth

Last edited by a moderator: