• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5G 4000 hour service

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I have an '04 D5G that is ready for it's 4k hour service, it's been worked very little in the last two years and I have owned it since new. I will be doing normal engine oil and filter, fuel filter, air filter (inner is clean), hyd filters (2 of those little suckers) and replace the hyd oil. I will have to look at the manual to see if the final drive oil and coolant needs to be replaced.

Up until now I have always used Cat brand filters on my Cat equipment. Obviously with $$ tight and ample time on my hands, it's time to research other options and of course HEF is the first place I go for advice.:thumbsup

I am considering Baldwin filters since I have a good supplier for them. What do the HEF wrenches think about them? Also for the hyd oil what is the best oil to use?

I want to save money where ever I can but don't want to sacrifice performance. The dozer is in good shape and doesn't have a monthly love note, I am depending on it now and in the future to put food on the table.:D

Lee-online

A 4000 service is all the oils and all the filters.

Just remember that not all filters are the same even if they fit. Cat filters are an absolute micron rating and some aftermarket are not.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
fleetguard is a good aftermarket filter thats actually the oem suplier for alot of stuff. Just check the manufacturers web site and see if they are guarenteed be the engine manufacturer like cummins will stand behind fleetguard.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
After a lot of thought and some research, I decided to stick with Cat filters. I have had good service out of Cat filters over the years and figured I shouldn't change horses in the middle of the race, so I bit the bullet.;) Luckily I already had the oil filter in my jumbled mess I call storage, so the the 2 hyd filters and fuel water separator weren't that bad $$$ wise. What I did find ridiculous was the price of Cat Brand 10W hyd oil - $106 for a 5 gal pail!:eek:

The parts guy at the Cat house didn't want to tell me the price of the Cat brand 10w oil, I can't blame him, it's embarrassing to tell a customer something so outrageous.:rolleyes: So the alternate was the local Cat house brand oil that is supposed to be sourced from the same supplier that supplies Cat - $70 per 5 gal pail. That price is still high but close to other aftermarket brands.

I didn't even price the Cat brand 50W oil for the final drives. Went with the local Cat dealer brand.

So yesterday I dropped the belly pans and cleaned out 6 years of dirt and muck - fun job.:rolleyes: Today I drained the engine oil, hyd oil, replaced the engine filter, 2 hyd filters and fuel filter. Tomorrow I will warm the finals up and change the oil in them.

The little tractor also had a hyd leak in the infamous steel line that runs down the C frame for the 6 way function. From talking with the wrenches at the Cat house this has been a problem on the G series dozers. The culprit for my leak was a 3" rock that nestled it's way between the A frame and the line. The line was $79 and change with the 2 O rings that fit on either end. Got that installed and guards in place, no leaks.

Now this may sound like a lot of time to do a clean and service on this small dozer but I had intermittent "side jobs" like getting the Grayco oil pump working, bidding what little work is out there and working on small Honda engines that have set up for a while. Oh yeah and it's 100 degrees in the shop. Life is good just need a job to send the D5 out to.:)

Next on the table is a 953C for a 4K hour service, in about 100 more hours but at the rate of current work that should be sometime in 2012.:cool2

Last edited:

mitch504

Dang, last night I wrote a detailed post on the problems I had w/ aftermarket filters on a Cat; wonder if we've been hacked by the Wix filter corporation, or, I just screwed it up?

PAcattech

Occupation
CAT field service tech (31yrs)
The parts guy at the Cat house didn't want to tell me the price of the Cat brand 10w oil, I can't blame him, it's embarrassing to tell a customer something so outrageous

The thing that most parts guys and many others dont know is that when you use cat advanced 10 hyd oil is it moves your oil change interval from 2000 hr to a 6000 by eliminating 2 oil changes more than makes up for the cost difference of the oil

here a link about the oil http://www.cat.com/cda/files/1386267/7/PEHJ0182-02.pdf?m=293095&x=7

quackattak

You might look up your local Schaeffer's oil rep, I buy a few things from them and also get free oil samples when I buy a certain quantity of oil. I haven't used there hyd oil, but i have used there synthetic trans oil in all the cat stuff and have had no problems.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Dang, last night I wrote a detailed post on the problems I had w/ aftermarket filters on a Cat; wonder if we've been hacked by the Wix filter corporation, or, I just screwed it up?

Mitch if you can conjure up the thoughts again, post it here.

mitch504

It was just that I had 3 Wix made fuel filters split on a 215C w/ a 3304 (think it was 2 Carquests and a NAPA). The steel in the shell is much thinner than the Cat filters and they split down a welded seam in the side. The Cat filters seem to be one-piece shells.

When you look at the one-machine price of a set of filters, the Cats don't really seem to be that much more, particularly if you say you are going aftermarket and get them to give you a little better price.:D

For oils, I use Premium quality Exxon and Shell oil, bought in bulk (it's amazing how much cheaper oil is when they just pump it into the tanks on my trailer). But, I'm luckier than you, I don't have any pesky warranties to concern me.:D

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
But, I'm luckier than you, I don't have any pesky warranties to concern me.:D

It's been out of warranty for 4 years.:cool2 At least it's has low hours, just hitting 4K.

I buy oil in bulk as well, use a Mobil 10-40 which is the same oil from the same jobber that supplies the local Cat house brand. i have been using it for several years and had good service out of it. I like to run Delo 400 in the truck engines.

You do pay a small premium for Cat filters but I think they are worth the extra money. One paying hour (which is hard to come by now a days :rolleyes:) and you more than make up the difference in the costs - at least that is the justification that I came up with.;)

The Grayco pump on the oil drum wasn't getting oil to the gun so I had to spend almost 1/2 day yesterday going through it. Starting at the pump, I tracked it to the gun. Blew out the supply hose to the gun and broke the gun apart. What it turned out to be was the trigger handle had gotten bent and when they put it back on, didn't zero the valve back out so you could pull the trigger but no oil. After a few "adult words" and a few gallons of sweat I was up and back to working.:D

Another topic of discussion - What do people think about the Lucus motor oil? A buddy of mine that runs dumps just put it in one of his tri-axles.