• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5K2 E1389

PeteG

Occupation
Farmer
Have a D5K2 serial number CAT00D5 KEKY208542 that just started throwing E1389 (1) code. From what I’ve read on here I think I’m going to need to try and force a regen first, as there was another thread a few years back but I wanted to double check. Also getting code 5856-9, which I believe is related and the ECU isn’t receiving the after treatment information correctly? I am getting access to Cat ET tomorrow hopefully, but wanted to make sure I’m on the right track before the codes get to a level 2 or 3. Thank you.

PeteG

Occupation
Farmer
Ok thank you Nige! I have a def refractometer so I’ll check that as well. Trying to get it to regen sounds like a good first step though based on your description.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
It may pay you to investigate the engine software Part Number in your particular machine to determine if it is the latest version. There was an upgrade and one of the bullet points was relating to regen inducements and the like. I’m always of the opinion that whatever the latest bells and whistles are, I want them……

PeteG

Occupation
Farmer
Ok I will definitely look at that. Never used ET so will be a learning experience, but have some experience with JD service advisor and found it pretty user friendly. Hoping ET is similar.

Mbar

Look at system communication under the engine controller. Also pull def injector and run verification test to see if it is leaking. Also you can monitor the pressure. Should be 80 psi.

PeteG

Occupation
Farmer
Ok spent some time trying to figure this out. Def injector was right at 80psi when running, so I think that is ok. I attached a picture of all the engine ecu numbers, but am unsure if it’s the latest version. I have done a forced regen and it passed, as well as cleared codes and the only active codes are the ones that I had before, with an addition of level 2 inducement now. I am starting to think it may be the def header unit, or the wiring to it, as under the system communication status is says the quality sensor is unable to communicate with the engine ECU. In the service manual it states that the header unit and quality sensor are one unit. However I’m having trouble locating a troubleshooting for this specific problem, but may be looking in the wrong spot. The only thing I don’t have access to right now is SIS, but trying to use my service manual to point me in the right direction. Any suggestions welcome. Thank you for the help so far!IMG_3771.jpegIMG_3773.jpeg

PeteG

Occupation
Farmer
One other thing, when performing the after treatment functional test it fails, as I am assuming the active code is the issue. After treatment regeneration test passes however. Not sure if that helps any more.

Nige

The Monitor software 573-5385 is the latest available.
The Engine ECM software is only one generation old, so almost the latest. 595-9684 is replaced by 608-4079. No information available regarding what the upgrade includes.

Hopefully one of the Tier 4 experts will pop by shortly.

I would suggest that you download a Product Status Report in pdf format before proceeding further. See this link and make sure that you select "all available ECMs" before downloading - Download PSR

Attachments

• M0118187.pdf
    255.1 KB · Views: 3

PeteG

Occupation
Farmer
Nige,

Thank you for that data sheet. I attached a PSR like you requested as well. everything was checked before downloading.

Attachments

• KY208542_PSRPT_2023-05-28_20.18.05.pdf
    70.1 KB · Views: 4

Mbar

If you have a quality code and a system communication on psr. Put a header sensor kit in it. I did one two weeks ago. They may be a service letter on it.

Nige

Nige,

Thank you for that data sheet. I attached a PSR like you requested as well. everything was checked before downloading.
Just to say that all installed software is the latest available with the exception of the engine as mentioned earlier.

Try this troubleshooting procedure for the CAN Datalink 5856-9 Active Diagnostic Code. See where it gets you. Sorry if I did not make it clear before but the E1389 Events are a consequence of the 5856-9.

Attachments

• UENR0662.pdf
    437.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

PeteG

Occupation
Farmer
Nige,

Will try that tomorrow for sure and post the results. I’m assuming the engine ECU is on the side of the engine, and not the one located at the bottom near the oil drain?

Mbar,

Most likely the whole unit (462-3232) or just the sensor kit I see as part 594-8693? I think this machine is just out of warranty so I didn’t inquire about any possible service letters from the dealer. But after I complete the troubleshooting procedure to eliminate the wires I can certainly ask

Mbar

The machine I was working on was a kr2 d4k. The letter expired at the end of the month. The header had switched to a sensor kit. But the service letter was discovered by tech support and cat was to far out to get to machine.

PeteG

Occupation
Farmer
Ok got through the troubleshooting all the way to 3F and 3G. Wires and resistors all seem to be within the specs on the sheet. I’m having a hard time finding the wires that are the CANBUS twisted wires going to the def header unit. I have a plug with 4 wires, and another 2 connectors, one for the heater and one the coolant pump for the def tank. I can’t seem to find the Can + and - for the header unit to test them. However step 4 is to repair the units on the datalink, which seems to be what Mbar was suggesting.

Mbar

Troubleshooting is never a bad idea and there always can be multiple problems but if you have a data link code and def quality codes. Stick a sensor kit in it a start pushing dirt.

PeteG

Occupation
Farmer
I believe you are correct MBar. I just got done going through the electrical schematic and all the resistors are within spec and the can data link and power wires are within their respective values as well. Searching for the DEF header I found it labeled under “ultrasonic level, condition, temperature sensor” on the chassis and engine schematic, in section D13 if anyone in the future is looking. This led me to the correct wires to troubleshoot after I figured out how Cat labeled it. I really appreciate the input from everyone. Our farm recently upgraded a lot of equipment so the tier 4 emissions systems are new to me and I’m learning as I go. Wanted to learn on this example as I’m sure one of our tractors or loaders will have similar issues down the road and wanted to be familiar with the systems and how they work.