• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Damn you, Milwaukee

Shimmy1

Those have to be operated only while wearing a straight bill hat on backwards, says so in the manual.

I've been wrenching since I was 5 years old. I think if these new cordless tools would have been around (if anyone could have afforded them is a totally different subject, lol) 50 years ago, we'd have settled Mars by now.

I know you work on trucks, and much beyond brakes and wheels is warranty, but after having all these little whiz-bangers, you would have to pry them from my cold dead fingers to take them from me. The 18v mid-torque changed our lives, and the DeWalt 899 actually made it to the table. IMG_20221127_202620625.jpg

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Still waiting for my 12 year old Milwaukee stuff to kick the bucket before I upgrade. Even my 12 year old batteries are still holding charge just fine.

Got a pretty smoking deal on some 20 volt Dewalt stuff and I'm quite impressed with it so far.

Truck Shop

I know you work on trucks, and much beyond brakes and wheels is warranty, but after having all these little whiz-bangers, you would have to pry them from my cold dead fingers to take them from me.

Actually the only things I don't do is major engine work and transmission work, because it's covered to 700K.
And the DT12 transmission is proprietary on info. Just this morning changed out a air compressor on a DD15,
buried at the back bottom of engine tucked in the frame rail, where starters use to be. Everyone should
experience at least one of those.

Just no room for bulky battery powered tools, air ratchets in most cases. Although I do have battery powered
drills and lights. The lights are what is handy to me.

Hell, my 1/2" Milwaukee will change MOST Budd wheels.

Do they make one that will remove a output shaft nut on a 13 spd?

mitch504

Do they make one that will remove a output shaft nut on a 13 spd?

Not a 1/2", unless somebody didn't tighten it enough, and the 3/4 is the same wrench with a bigger output shaft, but the new 1" is badass.

My m12 fuel ratchet is actually just a hair smaller than my good air one, and has no hose. my other m12 is a lot smaller, but only does 35 ft/lbs on the motor.

Truck Shop

Small shop probably works fine-I keep 24 tires mounted, a lot of dismount/mounts. Just like electric
vehicles it won't work in my shop. If I have dash work or electric window regulators to do I'll use the
battery drill/driver.

mitch504

The only air impact I use is my 1", which I use mostly for tires. My M18 1/2" WILL turn most lugnuts, but not nearly very well. 1/2" and down, I don't believe air really outperforms electric anymore, but most of my work, to use air involves starting and listening to a gas engine, so that makes up for swapping batteries.

The 1" M18 I have used belongs to my friend who owns a scrapyard. If the M18 won't turn it, my IR won't either. I don't use 1" near enough to spend $1300, though.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Small shop probably works fine-I keep 24 tires mounted, a lot of dismount/mounts. Just like electric
vehicles it won't work in my shop. If I have dash work or electric window regulators to do I'll use the
battery drill/driver.

Electric sure has been a game changer for field work. Most of the time whatever I am working on is too far for an air hose anyway. I have been known to lug a small compressor but my Makita 1/2" has loosened a couple of crankshaft nuts that really surprised me with 3/4" square adapter.

I have been toying with the idea of a CO2 cylinder for occasional portable air, but I would need a regulator and so far not cared enough to do it.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Milwaukee has changed how we work in the field. From grease guns, sawzalls, oscillating cutters to blowers and tire inflators we're going to need a 6 door truck to pack it all in.:D

The oscillating cutter works wonders installing PVC and HDPE pipe - better than a sawzall.

When the price comes down on the Milwaukee cut-off saws I'll buy one of those for the simple reason it's not a 2 stoke engine and will cut if we have a battery.o_O

The 1/2" M18 impact like Mitch said is a hoss. We have 2 for MJ fittings and changing/rotating tires.

Last edited:

barrelroll

Occupation
Mill Mechanic
My employer buys us all an M18 1/2" drive impact. Everybody having the same gun in a wonderful thing, you don't run into stuff someone has tightened with a super gun another guy's cheap gun can't get off, everything is about the same level of tight. If it's not coming out with the m18 it's usually coming off with a torch though 99% of the time we aren't working on a truck of piece of heavy equipment.

I don't even have a pneumatic 1/2" impact any more, if I'm busting out the air it's the 3/4" impact.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
I have been toying with the idea of a CO2 cylinder for occasional portable air, but I would need a regulator and so far not cared enough to do it.
I've collected several CO2 bottles for my MIG welders.
I had an extra regulator laying around (not a flow meter) and dialed it to 120 psi, and put a 1/4" coilly hose on it with standard air hose QC.
Very handy.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
I have the Bosch version of the "installers" kit. The fancy attachments have saved my azz a few times.
The concept is not new, Festool has been making one for years now. Others are now jumping on the wagon.20221217_214648.jpg

Last edited: