• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dead skidder lowboy

partsandservice

I am in the begining stages of building a lowboy to recover dead forestry equipment. Shop talk may be the wrong place for this, but this where the metal fabricators tend to be. I can,t afford a landaul. I have two Hyd Cat winches that I will mount on this rig. Should I have ramps or not. Also some way to keep the machines centered on the trailer as they are winched up. Then I will have to unload them, so I was thinking about a pully block at the end of the trailer hooked to the front of machine to pull it off. Any ideas would be great as I would like to have a lot of this project planned out in advance.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . partsandservice. Way back I moonlighted on an oil-fields B Model with a Garwood on a chassis mount behind the cab. They had it set up with a crude but heavy duty jib (for want of a better word) that pivoted horizontal off the goose neck.

With a couple snatch blocks it allowed the suck to be applied probably twelve feet or so either side of the centreline of the trailer . . . very handy for keeping things lined up or correcting a developing misalignment situation.

I reckon you will need a set of ramps. As far as unloading goes I used to tie of to some thing solid and drive out from under them . . . we could run the winch rope out under some times and snatch block to a tree or whatever, every situation is different.

We were a lot rougher back then of course and didn't have fancy hydraulic gear, it was normal procedure to back up to a twenty five ton mud-pump and suck it straight on over the back roller of a body truck with the front wheels four foot off the ground. LOL

Cheers.

Last edited:

Jbullfrog

Look at a military tank recovery unit. They are a tractor and lowboy built to retreive tanks from anywhere. The tractor has a set 40 ton winches behind aligned with the duals. You could maybe find a used one.