• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 310A Backhoe wont start

comet424

hi I just got my starter rebuilt backhoe been sitting since summer
but now it wont start... I got a new battery cleaned the posts
I made sure fuel was getting to the injector pump etc.. but its not starting..
here is a video I made

Clawed Backster

Grinding too long on the starter. If it doesn't start right away, it probably isn't going to.
I would check the fuel shut off. I don't know if that machine has a manual shut off, or an electric one.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Dam Dude.. do u WANNA buy another starter??
Take the fitting OFF the top of the pumps TOP COVER.. Take the return line off THEN unscrew the fitting..
Let the battery charge up.. & give her a few quick turn overs.. Use the 1000 method.. 1, 1000 2, 1000
up to 4 or 5.. then STOP.. give it a rest.. go smoke a cigarette.. then come back & do it again..
The engine will not start w/ the injectors cracked open.. Wait until u get fuel THERE, THEN tighten them up..
The fuel WILL come out of the top of the pump so don't be conserned about THAT..

thepumpguysc

Occupation
OH, & make sure the solenoid CLICKS when u turn on the key..
Just because u have 12v AT the sol. doesn't mean its working.. listen for the CLICK.!!!

comet424

ok ok ok sorry didn't know I was cranking too long as on a car you can crank long time but ya..

I can not take the return line off the pump the cap twists the pipe so its just going to brake off.. I did loosen the the bleeder screw on the injector pump and fuel came out … when I was pumping...
I did have the battery charger charging all night.. and it still starts at that low speed.. is it not supposed to start fast like a car engine does..
I was also told try changing the battery cables..

and whats the sensor above the starter? ill have to add a pic..
and it doesn't even fire with starter fluid shot button too much and the engine doesn't turn I guess too much pressure so I let it sit 20 min before trying...

ill got do that. ill unhook the power wire at the injector pump and listen..

and sorry didn't realize that was too long.. on the starter

comet424

so im uploading new video..
so basically you will see the relay in the injector pump is working.. it clicks and I show I I bleed the screw and also I not sure with the starter spray you see in video if that basically tried to fire it or fluke but then goes to slow starting.. and I show asking if this is a sensor for the engine that ti wont start either. and if so how to test it... but give it a bit my internet slow so it be a bit to upload a 1.30min video
and I made sure I didn't crank more then 4 seconds

cuz on my Leyland tractor its diesel and it cranks over a lot faster and a smaller battery too and you can crank it lot longer.. is this engine harder to start then a Leyland then

thepumpguysc

Occupation
OK.. slow down..
The engine will NOT START turning over slow.. it'll bleed the air but not start.. it needs HEAT from the pistons going up & down FAST to ignite the fuel that's being sprayed into the cylinders from the injectors..
BUT seeing u have the injector lines OPEN.. its NOT GONNA START ..
How about instead of taking the fitting off the top, u loosen the side cover & get it dripping fuel.??
Just loosen the 2 screws & get the fuel fast dripping..
BTW>> USE 2 WRENCHES taking off the fitting on the top.. Duh..

thepumpguysc

Occupation
The "proper" use of starting fluid is>> Get the engine turning 1st.. then spray/MIST the fluid over the intake..
NOT spray an azz-load of starting fluid in the intake & THEN crank the engine..

comet424

well I dunno how fast this starter is supposed to turn?
having the injector lines open and cranking the engine no fuel comes out.. no fuel comes out when using
and I mentioned I took the bleeder screw off of the injector pump and then did the manual bypass and tried to start and the fuel came out.. not sure what the top screw is if that's a bleeder too..
and I dunno if the turning over you hear if that's too slow or not.. haven't had the backhoe running for 6 months had it sitting..
and no fuel comes out the injector lines at the pump as I cracked that..
and like I mentioned it doesn't even start with the starter fluid spray bomb when you shoot it in the engine..
and only time it starts fast is the split second at the beginning as I have the charger put on 100amps in activate mode

as for 2 wrenches cant.. but I guess I could used vise grips to grip the pipei didn't wanna kink the line to try to take off fitting

comet424

ah ok ya I tried that too hit the button as its turning over.. that does nothing...
and that's a pain in the but
since you gotta hold the buttons in..
the way I always did it and in winter was press the starter fluid button 1/2 second and then hit the starter button and then would fire up
but I only was pumping more in as it wouldn't fire off the split second spray of starter fluid that I normally do.. that's why I was asking what the sensor looks like above the starter does if that is causing this engine not to start.. and if in video you hear if the startrer should be spinning faster.. as it doesn't..
but guess I was doing it wrong

comet424

but I guess ill also have the battery cables replaced too since was told they look old so I dunno

comet424

ok well whatever this screw is I unloosened it and had the fuel come out when I cranked it over ,my finger is pointing at it

Attachments

• injector screw.jpg
    injector screw.jpg
    612.1 KB · Views: 35

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
If it's having a hard time turning over sounds like the hyd pump is loading up, it'll either have an electric destroke solenoid on the right side of the pump or a manual "T" handle screw on the top.

Play with the loader control while cranking, ie hold it in bucket curl position, it should crank way faster if the hyd pump is loading up. If that's the case we can go from there.

comet424

soo youtube keeps crashing and making me start the upload over..
but I had done another video I had the charger on activate over an hour at 100amps so kept putting 100 amps in not charge mode..
I retested.. it would crank fast for a second or 2 and goto the the semi slow sound you seen in the orginal video

so I did your hydraulic test.. didn't changed.. I pulled the loader arm up so as its cranking the bucket is lifting in the air but still cranks same speed no faster no slower

comet424

in the video I tried to upload I asked about this sensor you see in the pic.. I wanted to know if it does anything above the starter.. I cleaned the contact but dunno what it does or how to test it etc.. don't know what that sensor name is if you guys know be good too

Attachments

• aaa.jpg
    aaa.jpg
    803.5 KB · Views: 26

Delmer

that's the oil pressure sensor, has nothing to do with starting if it's cranking and has 12V to the injection pump solenoid.

kinda sounds like maybe your "jump start" setting is doing a lot of work and tripping after a second or so. And/or the battery is weak (could be killed from cranking too much, could be half drained). And/or you have some bad connections in the battery cables. Or the hydraulics locking up, try the steering while cranking to see if that changes.

I'd swap a known good battery into this, or try a good pair of jumper cables with the ground to the starter body/bolt, and positive to the positive cable terminal on the solenoid. What gets hot after cranking for ten seconds? feel all the connections and the whole length of the cables and the starter and solenoid. carefully till you know they won't burn you, or mist with water to see what "steams".

comet424

ah ok I figured it was a sensor for the fly wheel since its right there..
well I bought the battery last month brand new made in march I guess.
i even tried boosting while set to 100 amp jump start..
i tried booster cable directly to the solenoid to the truck and a bolt on the the side of the backhoe nothing..

the cables on the solinode.. the red one i just made i changed the wire that goes to the internals a relay..
the other wires alternator i guess and whatever... and the small wire that is the solinode disengage you mentioned and then the button from the switch... all been polished so they make good contact..

i did try taking the battery cable off and run directly from the truck that didn't work not enough power draws too much

i didn't wanna do the run 10 seconds as i was told i going to burn it out.. only 4 seconds so i haven't gone very long anymore...

but i also had the truck running 20 min idling to charge truck but maybe not long enough.. i also set the 15amp charge for an hour or so too..... i starts fast for a second or 2.. then drops down to a constant speed.. not a constant fast speed..

ill get back to you by turning the wheel and starting and ill let you know

comet424

so i didn't do 10 seconds but about 6 to 8 seconds
where my finger is pointing is what got hot the nut
the fat cable is from battery
the cable underneath with the black rubber be the alternator
the red electrical tape/wire goes to the relay for lights etc

small pole
the blue wire is the hydraulic pump destroke
the other wire is the starter button

i set it to 15 amp charge and ill wait till it goes green
all i can think of is change the battery cables... but it doesn't even fire on a mist of starter fluid id take another video later

also turning the wheel while starting does nothing.. still cranks same slowish speed no change

Attachments

• starter.jpg
    starter.jpg
    701.7 KB · Views: 19

comet424

so my video finally uploaded from this morning this is what i done..
but i realize now that sensor is oil pressure