• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 862 Transmission. Wont Move

DozerTech78

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Tech
Working on a John Deere 862, Went down on a job and wouldnt move. Checked basic things, parking brake is released, trans is full of oil. Engine runs fine. I didnt have many tools with me at the time so I did what I could to try to isolate the issue. Im familliar with the electronic shift controller which was my main suspect at first but after starting and trying to get the machine to move, i realized I can put it in gear and hear/feel a thump in the trans like clutches are engaging. The trans output shaft will move slightly but no matter how much throttle i give it, it wont move. Id like to tap into the clutch ports to see what pressures its getting just to see what direction to go from there, I can grab the output shaft and wiggle it and watch the input shaft turn with it. The trans input shaft spins the entire time the engine is running and when i try to put it in gear so I would assume the TC is not slipping. I know its no a lot to go off of until I check pressures but just didnt know if anyone here has experienced similar issues?

tdrainage

Is it an"A" model? 862A... If so it may be like our 762A that is a large useless piece of iron still. There is a black box behind the seat which is the like an ECM or brain box - as you move the shifter through the gear selector it sends signals to a bank of magnets on top of the transmission that directs which solenoids open and shut for the gear selected. If that box isn't working then the transmission won't get the correct electric impulses to engage the correct gears and the machine will not move.
We have sent ours off to 2 different outfits that claimed to be able to repair it - we even sent to schematics for the machine and they were not able to help. There is no help of any kind from mother deere either. Obsolete machines in their book. We are still trying to find someone to build something that will work. They are good machines but as of right now we have a parts machine available.

DozerTech78

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Tech
Is it an"A" model? 862A... If so it may be like our 762A that is a large useless piece of iron still. There is a black box behind the seat which is the like an ECM or brain box - as you move the shifter through the gear selector it sends signals to a bank of magnets on top of the transmission that directs which solenoids open and shut for the gear selected. If that box isn't working then the transmission won't get the correct electric impulses to engage the correct gears and the machine will not move.
We have sent ours off to 2 different outfits that claimed to be able to repair it - we even sent to schematics for the machine and they were not able to help. There is no help of any kind from mother deere either. Obsolete machines in their book. We are still trying to find someone to build something that will work. They are good machines but as of right now we have a parts machine available.

Thanks for the reply. Its just a plain 862 with no designation. It has electrohydraulic controls for the bowl, like “rocker switches” on the right side console, if that tells you anything. All i have is a parts book for the machine, no service manual. I wanted to remove the top cover off to get a look inside but i didnt have anything to reseal it. Im not sure what the strategy is for shifts. I might go back out and pull that cover off and see if I can check voltages for each coil in each gear

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Did you check fuses? Might want to acquire a tech manual. TM1212 for an 862.

tdrainage

You need the tech manual to check voltage in the coils. It is not as simple as energizing one coil for s particular gear. At least on the 762 it is a sequence of 6 different magnets energized uss sad omg anywhere from 2-4 different ones for each gear. I can post a pick of ours tomorrow if you want to give you an idea. Don’t know if 762 and 862 are close in any way but would give you an idea of what is supposed to happen when each gear is selected

dozr

Occupation
excaving
my 762 has a clark trann all manual and works good just real high to work on.

tdrainage

Yes a straight 762 does have a manual transmission. We have a 762 and a 762A. Unfortunately you cannot mate the older tranny to the newer machine. We have researched that and Deere made too many changes to make this happen

Eether54

Sorry to revive an old thread but did the op ever find out what the issue was? We have a 862b that is doing the exact same thing.

Eether54

OK, just as a follow up for the one other guy that may have this issue, and is sucks to read a thread describing your exact problem with no conclusion..
It was the #3 shift solenoid. Machine would barely feel like it wanted to move. Shift solenoid 3 is activated with all of the gears so if it doesn't work then nothing works. The solenoid cover was leaking, and allowed moisture to corrode the solenoids pretty bad. As a side note, a number of the other troubleshooting tests preceeding failed.

tdrainage

Glad you found the issue on your 862B. Our issue is the brain box behind the seat. I think we may have a solution coming. Have a friend in California (we are in Illinois) that we have worked with and finally got his 862 working - he was able to build his own circuit board and he even had to change the control selector - he is going to build us a new brain box fr our 762A. If everything works as we believe it will - Our issue will be solved - Saying we are successful - we will offer to help some of you that are experiencing tranny/electrical issues with your Deere scrapers.

tdrainage

Yes we did. Had to do it like California Pete did his 862B. Rebuilt brain box and have different shifter panel but works perfect

T.C.03

Thats great, we had a solenoid go bad yesterday, was hoping thats all it was. There is absolutely zero product support for these machines around here. Its good to know someone has figured a way around the oem computer.

tdrainage

Hope that is all it is for you. Would be an easy fix. Yep. Zero support. They have been considered obsolete machines for a while now. We have two 762’s. Works better than tractor and pull pan for what we do. I have schematic for all wiring if you ever need it. Salvage yard is best bet for many of the parts. Sadly

Paultreska

Glad you found the issue on your 862B. Our issue is the brain box behind the seat. I think we may have a solution coming. Have a friend in California (we are in Illinois) that we have worked with and finally got his 862 working - he was able to build his own circuit board and he even had to change the control selector - he is going to build us a new brain box fr our 762A. If everything works as we believe it will - Our issue will be solved - Saying we are successful - we will offer to help some of you that are experiencing tranny/electrical issues with your Deere scrapers.
I have an 862B that only goes into gears 2 and 4. We have tried replacing sylonoids and testing everything we can in house with no luck. It seems you have an answer as someone who builds a new board? If so please shoot me a text or call 260- 330 -0364. Would be much appreciated as we have a machine down with no sight of it being fixed until I read this