• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Demo Recs

Setteduke

Have a 555D to demo this “hunting shack”. There is a Coleman fifth wheel attached to the back. Any idea on how big of a dumpster I should rent? Should I pull the fifth wheel out first and then demo the building? ThanksE1D1BE21-CD69-4327-8C9D-4FF3A521DE78.png

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Couple of questions:

How many SF is the house?
Are there any personal contents in the house or the camper?
What type of foundation does the house have?

The basic formula I use for residential demo is 1,000 SF = 100 CY. That is for an empty 1 level house with no personal contents or furniture.

Depending on the type of foundations and how you dispose of inert materials (brick, concrete) you need to figure that volume separately.

Setteduke

Its a 18' x 20 shack built parallel to a Coleman trailer that is 10 x 22. No foundation, just built on blocks. Floor is 2x dimensional lumber with plywood floor, interior open, no walls inside. Can I demo the trailer and put in a dumpster? Any concerns with that? Do i want to salvage the steel frame and add to metal pile? I am sure you all do much bigger jobs and appreciate any input.

Delmer

I'd pull the fifth wheel out and try to give it away. Might save yourself some work and dumpster cost. That's assuming the walls of the trailer don't fall down before you get it somewhere that somebody can hook onto it. Tires are no problem, somebody can bring their own wheels if they don't hold air, post a pic of the bolt pattern for their convenience.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Its a 18' x 20 shack built parallel to a Coleman trailer that is 10 x 22. No foundation, just built on blocks. Floor is 2x dimensional lumber with plywood floor, interior open, no walls inside. Can I demo the trailer and put in a dumpster? Any concerns with that? Do i want to salvage the steel frame and add to metal pile? I am sure you all do much bigger jobs and appreciate any input.

You can do the math and figure out how many 30 yards you need - 1000 SF = 100 CY. The plywood is going to give you a little trouble so you'll need to process it before you put it in the can so it doesn't take up too much volume.

I would demo the trailer and put the frame in the metal box/pile if there is enough other metal to make it worthwhile. Usually if a demo job has enough metal for recycle I'll get a 30 yard just for metal.

Just curious what the rates are for a 30 yard dumpster? What's the tonnage cap and cost per ton for any over tonnage?

Last edited:

Setteduke

I am not sure of cost, waiting to get quotes back. This is in a rural area. Attached is a picture of the trailer attached to cabin. I’m not sure its gonna come away in one piece!
17429C01-F139-406D-825D-CF97D9013E3C.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I wouldn't waste my time with the camper that's probably worth more in scrap even with scrap prices in the tank.

Delmer

Are you kidding? I 'd bet in NY that's going to cost him the same dollars per ton as the rest of the debris, maybe even more and have to pull the tires and anything resembling an appliance out and pay separate for those. If somebody is willing to tow it away, that's a win in my book.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Good luck finding someone to tow away that old camper that's been attached to a house for God knows how long.

Knowing your disposal costs per TN, CY or flat rate is the first step in pricing a demo job.;)

Setteduke

I will pull it off and see what happens! There are no appliances in the structure except a wood stove, going to reuse that in my outbuilding. Thank you for all the advice and help. Much appreciated.

Setteduke

You can do the math and figure out how many 30 yards you need - 1000 SF = 100 CY. The plywood is going to give you a little trouble so you'll need to process it before you put it in the can so it doesn't take up too much volume.

I would demo the trailer and put the frame in the metal box/pile if there is enough other metal to make it worthwhile. Usually if a demo job has enough metal for recycle I'll get a 30 yard just for metal.

Just curious what the rates are for a 30 yard dumpster? What's the tonnage cap and cost per ton for any over tonnage?

I got a quote for a 40yard dumpster that will cost me $550. Sorry didn’t ask about the caps and cost per ton for overage.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
That's pretty good. Need to ask them how many tons in the price or is it a flat CY rate.