• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Detroit Diesel 3-71 starter removal help

k_kindig11

I believe the starter went out on my Unit crane. Motor is a Detroit Diesel 3-71, model 3055-C. I took the cables off and got the three bolts out that hold the starter in place. When I try to slide the starter back and out of the pocket where it engages with the flywheel, it doesn't seem to have enough room to get it out. Does anyone know if other parts need to come off the motor to get the starter out or should the starter be able to slide out (tight, but come out) without taking anything else off? I have attached a picture of a motor I found online as I forgot to take a picture and it's dark out now, but you can see there isn't much room to slide it out since the starter has a domed portion that is inside the pocket in the motor where it engages with the flywheel. There is a filter housing below the starter that keeps it from going down and a water pump housing on the back side. I've tried tilting as i put back put can't seem to get it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I just want to make sure I'm on the right path without making a bunch of unnecessary work. Thanks

Attachments

• diesel picture.jpg
    diesel picture.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 35

k_kindig11

Also found this picture that has the starter removed. Makes me think it should come off without anything else needing removed...?? Thoughts?

diesel picture 2.jpg

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Nowadays, you don't have to install a 40MT you can use the smaller 42 or even a 37. I can't imagine you would have to remove the lower water manifold just for starter service. But since you seem to have unlimited access there, perhaps dropping that manifold is the way to go.

k_kindig11

I managed to get a picture. I wish mine was as nice as the other pictures I attached... lol. I tried to bypass the solenoid by going straight from the starter to the battery using jumper cables. It sparks but starter doesn’t do anyway. I assumed this should engage the starter but it does nothing. Battery tests at 100%. The solenoid on my motor is separate from the starter. It clicks when engaging ignition. It’s located up and to the left in the picture. You can only see a piece of it. I’m not sure what the “L” strap is you are speaking of.

Attachments

• E478A1AD-7820-430C-891C-BD0CACBF48CA.jpeg
    E478A1AD-7820-430C-891C-BD0CACBF48CA.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 64

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
OMG it looks like they built the engine around the starter. So yours is a mirror of the earlier post. Is dropping the water manifold an option? Additionally, make sure you dont damage the tag riveted to the case. You're gonna need to know if its CW or CCW rotation. The bendix should dictate, if it's any good.

shopguy

Maybe it is just the beer but looks like that part of the bell housing un bolts,help me out here mitch

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Maybe it is just the beer but looks like that part of the bell housing un bolts,help me out here mitch

I think you are looking at a pipe plug. Removing that starter looks like one of the two piece metal puzzles you are supposed to figure out how they come apart.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I agree with these fellas about the 39MT. You'll be much happier and better cranking with less amperage requirements.

I believe you can remove that beast without removing the oil cooler. It just may be stuck.

Great time to convert it to a spin-on oil filter. Or. Remote mount.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
On the river recovery barges we just drained the coolant in the cranes, drop the lower manifold/oil cooler and replace that gasket with the short piece of hose, made life MUCH easier than trying to snake these out. Most of the time were Overdue for a cooling system flush anyway and made a good time to change the Zinc Pellet 'Pencils' used for cavitation control if they still had them.