• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deutz 912 diesel information

Hurtin_Albertan

I am looking to repower some equipment that is gas but also came with the deutz 912 engine in it. The equipment has the hp as 65 horse. While looking for a donor I have found a generator with the same model deutz but it is rated at 58 horsepower.

What would the differences be? Can it be updated by tweaking the injection pump or by changing timing?

Any thoughts? It's at auction as a parts only so will be gone through anyways if I win it.

Thanks

Hurtin_Albertan

Not sure but I just had a thought .... Is it maby because the donor is in a generator and speced to run at 1800 rpm and the equipment I believe is speced at 2300 rpm? Would the difference in HP be on the curve?

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
Yes, the HP rating is directly related to the engine speed specced for the machine. That's why you'll see identical engines with different ratings between gensets, air compressors, skid steers, etc.

Hurtin_Albertan

Yes, the HP rating is directly related to the engine speed specced for the machine. That's why you'll see identical engines with different ratings between gensets, air compressors, skid steers, etc.
So with that in mind...logic says then that the motor that says 56hp@1800rpm on the engine plate would then be 65hp@2300rpm as speced on the original equipment engine.

So with that thinking all internal and external parts should be the same..

Delmer

As far as I know, most internal 912 parts will be the same. There were different heads over the years, different manifolds obviously, but the pistons, rods, and jugs would be the same for a 2-3-4-5-6 cylinder engine, so the internals would be the same. The injection pump could be set different. The biggest thing is the injection pump for a generator could have a different governor than a non generator governor, for closer speed regulation.

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
So with that in mind...logic says then that the motor that says 56hp@1800rpm on the engine plate would then be 65hp@2300rpm as speced on the original equipment engine.

So with that thinking all internal and external parts should be the same..
Yessir. What equipment are you planning on running this engine in? Is it going to be constant RPM or variable?

Hurtin_Albertan

Yessir. What equipment are you planning on running this engine in? Is it going to be constant RPM or variable?
Wanting to repower a ditch witch trencher that has a Wisconsin gas engine in it. We have another one that is the same model with the deutz and it is so much better in so many ways. Reliability, productivity, fuel consumption. Etc