• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deutz parts manual

James Sorochan

Occupation
x-water & sewer construction Now farmer.
Does anyone have access to this parts manual ? I need the speed sensor that goes into the flywheel housing. You can see it on the second picture. Does anyone know of any good dealers out there for Deutz. I tried an outfit up in Edmonton and it took a couple months to get a fuel return fitting that comes off the last injector line that goes back to tank. The engine is old.
I had my buddy up in Calgary rebuild the engine and we are now putting a new control box on it to get set up properly with the speed sensor, belt sensor switch, temp sender from cylinder head etc.

Attachments

• IMG_3797.jpeg
    IMG_3797.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3884.jpeg
    IMG_3884.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 30

Delmer

that's not a Deutz part, a 912 was all mechanical as far as I know, so the generator maker put the speed sensor there for generator purposes. Need to cross the numbers on the part, or go through generator parts to find that.

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
Any data plate info for who built the whole genset, or at least what governor and voltage regulator are installed? That speed sensor is going to be for maintaining/monitoring frequency. If you can't get the manufacturers PN for it, might have to dig a little deep and try to find the spec of what the controls want to see and try to match one to that.

James Sorochan

Occupation
Thanks for this Delmer and MarshallPowerGen. The generator is an old Stamford. I'll explain the story behind it. I bought two units last January from a guy that got them from a military base up here in Alberta. They are both Deutz air cooled with Stamford ends. Four and six cylinder engines with the four seized up. They are both sitting on top of 45 gallon oil tanks. I pulled the four banger off and had a buddy up in Calgary do the rebuild. Got it back together now. The original starters were 24 Volt and were shot so I picked up a couple new 12 volt ones. All the wires were cut and slashed to the control boxes when the military guys decommissioned them. I believe the units were destined for the scrap heap. I paid $1750.00 for the six cylinder and $600 for the four. I have zero experience with this kind of stuff. One of our customers that buys groceries out here at our farm store is an electrician that has some experience with gen sets so he's has been helping getting things sorted out. We have decided to get rid of the existing control box and start new with only the basics. I'm just helping and learning. The six cylinder unit has a good speed sensor but the four is toast. Not sure if we need the exact same sensor or if there are common alternatives available. Here are a couple pics.

Attachments

• IMG_3816.jpeg
    IMG_3816.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3821.jpeg
    IMG_3821.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 15

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
Should make for interesting projects. I take it the tag on top corner of the restrap box is just the Stamford tag? Being military surplus, there should be some info or manuals out there online to at least get a wiring diagram from. Controls should be about as simple as it could get with those, and if any safeties/sensors are missing will mostly be figuring whether NC or NO is needed.

As far as the speed sensor, they may be the same if the controls are similar and if both units have the same size SAE bellhousing (and hopefully flywheel), but it would come down the the flywheel tooth count if they were to read the same.

I wouldn't jump straight to tossing the old control box unless you already have a plan what to replace/supplement it with. Would be worth getting it running on minimal controls and make sure it holds frequency and makes voltage.

James Sorochan

Occupation
It is an interesting project for sure amongst many here. When our friend the electrician checked it out he figured there was a bunch of unnecessary stuff there and everything was 24 volt. Since we are switching over to 12 volt we came to the conclusion to start from scratch. He has been working with a rewind outfit out of Lethbridge to source the components. Here is a pic of the plate. Thanks MarshallPowerGen.

Attachments

• IMG_3810.jpeg
    IMG_3810.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 14

antz

Hi James, I have a 6 cyl i believe the same as the above mentioned. I am unable to get any fuel from the injector pump. I have tried shuttling the fuel cut back and forth as well as the throttle without success. Engine has been sitting for a long long time without running. Does fire with some ether. The injector pump is spinning just fine and the plungers underneath the side cover are moving as required. Thoughts / help appreciated. Injector pump and engine plate photos attached.IMG_7712.JPG IMG_7696.JPG

56wrench

If that is an air-cooled deutz, DO NOT EVER USE STARTING FLUID. It can cause the cylinder barrell/head studs to stretch which will result in leakage between the heads and cylinders and require partial engine dissassembly to repair

antz

Hi James, the lift pump isn’t working so I have bypassed and have an in-line electric pump, plenty of fuel coming out the return.

James Sorochan

Occupation
Yes 03hdrk. Had both running. Still waiting on our electrician friend to come and finish with the control side stuff. We have been busy working on all kinds of projects on the farm here. Winter is not to far off and hopefully we will get the generators finished.

Delmer

I would rebuild or replace the stock transfer pump. An electric pump is typically a lower pressure than that inline pump wants to see. Not sure if it would matter or not?

Any picture of the injection pump through the side cover? It sounds like it should run from what you say. The pump elements are going up and down with the cam, and the rack is rotating them, as they should.

antz

If the engine runs, I’ll sort out the lift pump though I can’t see a reason that the electric pump wouldn’t supply enough fuel. James, there is nothing plumbed in to prevent starting. I have removed all injector lines and there isn’t a drop coming from the injector pump.

Attachments

• B483ADE2-F6CF-4CAC-BE48-A63509DF91C3.jpeg
    B483ADE2-F6CF-4CAC-BE48-A63509DF91C3.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5

03hdrk

James,
I have some thoughts and questions.
Many voltage regulators use the voltage of the engine system for power to excite the generator. So if yours is looking for 24 volts coming from the engine system and you have removed the power wire or changed it to 12 volts - the generator may not produce anything but residual voltage - maybe around 30v or some wierd number.
I am going to look for info on the Stamford Newage unit and see if I can find specs on it and determine what regulator it works with.
Has the guy you are having look at it said anything about the swap to 12v regarding the regulator?
You are in Canada and you say this is a military unit, is that Canadian military or US military. I know where to get US military info. However, unless the Stamford was custom built, the generator end (properly called the alternator because it produces AC) should have a few options for regulators then all you have to do is get the engine to 1800 rpms and the regulator powered and adjusted.
I will do some looking...