• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Diamond - Z 4000 fire story

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
OK, since we don't have either a grinder or burnout specific subforum, I guess here is as good as any place.

Instead of reposting the pics, here's the link to the beginning of this thread.

The beginning: https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/picture-thread.79079/page-252

Here's a link to a Google Photo album where I put the rest of the pics I have so far. Then I'll post them here so no one will have to leave HEF to see the pics. I know some people don't like going to hosting sites, so I won't use them unless I have to. On that Google site is the short vid of the fire itself, since vids aren't supported here.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/H1s5VvVMeVuBiaaG9

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
I think this one may justify adding a refrigerator to the truck, and definitely some new tools...starting with that Scotch! And since I'm the boss on this one, that bottle is as good as here! Or Bourbon if that's your preference :) Will be premium, for sure lol!

Thanks for the tip, crane operator...I'll try that.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Don't forget to add the microwave oven as well. Might need it for the hors d'oeuvres.

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
Might have to make do with the Coleman stove I already carry. Which reminds me, it's time to service it. It's nice to have a hot meal without having to gather up tools scattered all over and get cleaned up just to drive someplace to eat. Of course, having chili, stew, etc, easy to heat stuff gets old after a few days, but it doesn't happen often. I guess when I put the fridge in, I can broaden the menu :D

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
What I see is a positive battery cable short to ground causing the fire. It is common on trucks. I have repaired some that the driver managed to put out before it got too far. Burns up from starter and takes out fuel lines. Once that happens you are too late.

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
That's what I am sort of seeing too. What puzzles me is the self attempt to start during the fire. But then, that may have been falsely triggered by a short in the solenoid circuit, and without power to the ECM, it isn't going to start and run, but die trying. That may be the first thing in the chain of events. That could cause enough heat to melt insulation on the main battery cable or another hot wire and start the whole thing.

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
I have made a list of changes I am going to try implementing as this thing is brought back to life. I'll post them tomorrow if I can. I would appreciate comments, suggestions, criticisms, insults, etc...in addition to more ideas in the pot.

It's at the engine shop now for their analysis. I'll report on what they say. Owner says he thinks it will be back to grinding first week of Nov.....this year. Now I'm a pretty optimistic guy, but as far as I know, we won't be able to get parts fast enough for that to happen. We're pushing though. We don't have an equivalent grinder, so we will just limp along with what we do have. Several grinders, just none that can compete with the D-Z.

John C.

Occupation
The power pod should likely get replaced as a package. Wiring harness and electronic controls I would guess may take some time to get. I suppose yours had radio controls as well. Go over the repair parts list with a fine tooth comb because so much gets over looked on fire jobs until you start putting the machine back together. It all goes into the pot of money they use to figure whether or not the machine is a total loss.

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
The machine harness and several sensors are a total loss, and I'm thinking that they will have to be built to order. The PLC or Microprocessor are safely away from any of the heat. The only way I see damage to the main control is the possibility of some route for 12 or 24 to come back on a 5 volt signal line, which is a possibility. I'm hoping there isn't any damage to the circuitry there. I'm pretty sure we will be hard pressed to get all the parts, mainly the machine harness, in any short time frame. The sensors probably are stock somewhere. Those I've seen appear to be non-specialized, mostly generic sensors such as prox switches and Hall effect devices.

But at this age, even the engine harness and ECM may be a little scarce. I say that without any knowledge of any special features that might be handled by the ECM. But if that is the case, D-Z should be able to flash, or furnish the file to the supplier to flash it to proper parameters. I was told there was virtually no change for about 16 years in the overall design of the machine, and with quite a few in the field of this model, it's possible the engine harness could come from D-Z, if it's special, but I'm not seeing anything special there unless there is a custom interface with the machine controls. This just beginning to unfold really...still more questions than answers.

And yes, it does have the radio remote, but the receiver module is safely tucked into the main control box. That's located at the far "right" of the machine, probably 8-10 feet from the fire and shielded by the tanks from the heat.

I'm sure we won't hit the bullseye on the first go around, because this is a fairly complex machine. At least I do have a serialized schematic for it. There is a guy we have helping who has been with this machine while it was under construction and he's been free with the information we've needed up to this point. I believe we can count on him for help to the end.

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
Oh, the "Improvement and Safeguard List":

Covers to protect bearings from chip buildup

Hydraulic lines and fuel lines routed where they cannot be covered tightly in chips.

Electric power wiring (starter, solenoid controls, etc. routed above all sources of hydraulic oil and fuel.

Hoses and wiring anchored in any area subject to vibration and chafing.

If necessary relocate fuel filter cans away from starter and heavy electrics.

Possible use hard line rather than hose in places where practical (at least to address the problematic connection at the head for the fuel line)

Switch to nonflammable hydraulic fluid.

Run battery cables through metallic Seal-Tite or similar

Fire suppression system

Solenoid valves on fluids with tanks above probable fire source normally closed and checks on returns since they are larger, would save cost to use checks instead of solenoid valves

And as I said, please feel free to comment, object, suggest, criticize, improve, or strike down anything you see. I'm sure we won't make this machine 100% fireproof, but I have to believe there are things that could be changed to improve our odds. One thing I'd like to mention in the way of a complaint. Most of the machines have a master battery disconnect. This D-Z does, and contrary to our "SOP, no one seems to want to use it. Since it seems so likely that the origin of the fire was electrical in nature, I have to believe that had the operator properly shut the power off at the battery, we wouldn't have this thread running at all.

John C.

Occupation
I wouldn't put any kind of normally closed electric shutoff valve on the hydraulic system. Have a problem shutdown and suck the pumps dry and collapse all the suction tubing. I have seen and used manual valves with brackets to padlock them in position to go along with a lockout tag out procedure.

Reactions: DB2

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
Well, I was thinking about integrating them from two vectors; one off the E-stop, which would shut down the engine and pumps, and the other if the main power had to be cut or d/c in an emergency (or shorted and melted in two). That would sort of be parallel. So if things were green lit, power normal, they would be open and the engine and pumps supplied, otherwise a problem would initiate a main power kill. Still working out the various scenarios and how well they would play together before I commit. Could be just as effective to manage open hose flow another way. Flow limiters perhaps...dunno, still working through ideas. Main objective would simply be to stop a free flowing gravity fed fuel or hydraulic line to an involved fire.

There are manual valves on some of the supply lines, but if the fire (or respectable fear) prevents personnel from approaching the valves, they wouldn't be shut off. Those on now are there simply for service isolation.

Edit to add an afterthought:

In parallel with these NC valves, an appropriately rated check valve in parallel with the solenoid valve would allow fluid to flow to the pumps ONLY if the suction from the pump exceeded their crack pressure. The issue there might be if there were an intact suction line to the pump and the compromised hose or line being after the pump. On the other hand, a toasted pump versus a burned up machine might be an arguable point. Provided the pump drive could be shut down before it was damaged. As I said...lots of thinking yet to do.

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
In my mind the problem is fire prevention, not suppression. Keeping the machine cleaned up as an act of maintenance is far cheaper than modifying systems across the board that may or may not suppress a fire.

Tony Wells

Occupation
HogZilla Keeper
Absolutely. If you'll review the list, most of those items are aimed at prevention. I'd rather not give any place to start a fire. My intent on suppression/control really is the last two items. Otherwise I'm attempting to prevent a fire prone environment from forming in the first place. Like routing the fluid lines where they cannot drip (because we all know in time they will leak) onto any ignition source. The solenoid valve idea is a last ditch effort to prevent the tanks from just draining down into an already engulfed area. If I can stop a 150 gallons of diesel from being poured on the fire, it can't get as large, my thinking.

John C.

Occupation
I agree with you on the things that are preventative maintenance. But once it gets going, you are many times better off letting nature take its course. Proper routing and securement of hoses and electrical cables is one thing. Adding systems the manufacturer didn't install as standard equipment may put you in jeopardy should something happen. I was part of an insurance investigation in Alaska where a fire suppression system failed to work properly and the insurance company went broke before they could get their subrogation claim through the courts.

John C.

Occupation
Many times the dry chemical suppression systems only slow down the initial progress of the fire. In the case of a grinder, the wood debris gets into everything. Diamond Z used to mount a big Quincy compressor on the machine just to blow out all the debris at the end of the shifts. The operators here religiously cleaned out the machines. Those things can catch fire in the bowls if something gets jammed up enough. I've seen one loss where a roller bearing for the bowl disintegrated and started a fire. It was a total loss. I don't think any suppression system would have helped on that fire. It was caused by a lack of timely applications of grease. I am surprised that there is no suppression system mounted on Tony's machine.

In the case I spoke of, the chemical canisters had a defect that the owners and operators had no way of knowing about.